Kilbeggan ( Irish: Cill Bheagáin ) is a small town with 822 inhabitants ( as of 2006) in County Westmeath north of Tullamore in the Republic of Ireland. Today it is known as whiskey city.
In 600, a monastery was founded by Saint Becan and after the expiry in 1200 by Cistercian monks from Mellifont rebuilt ( Kilbeggan Abbey ). With the dissolution of the monasteries in Ireland in the 16th century, much of the property went to the Lambert family.
1757 was opened in the Kilbeggan Distillery Brunsna. A branch of the Grand Canal (Ireland ) from Tullamore was from 1835 to 1944 in operation. Around 1860 John Locke took over the local whiskey distillery. The Locke's brand quickly became known internationally, but lost among other things by counterfeiters in the days of Prohibition in America their reputation. In 1953, the distillery. 1987 bought the Cooley Distillery, the rights to this distillery and its whiskey. 2007, the year of the 250th anniversary, the burning operation was resumed. For this to be the oldest licensed whiskey distillery in the world.
The old buildings are now used partly as a gantry for the whiskey brands Kilbeggan, Locke's and Connemara. In addition, Locke 's Distillery Museum can be visited. In the old disused distillery historic assets are shown and given information about the history of the whiskey.