Kiyevsky railway station
The Kiev railway station (Russian Киевский вокзал / Kijewski Vokzal ) is a terminal station in the Russian capital Moscow. It was built in the years 1914 to 1918 and was called to 1934 Bryansk station.
The station is located on the right bank of the Moskva River in the Western Administrative District of Moscow. Near the station of Kutusowski Prospect runs, a leading west arterial road. In the immediate vicinity of the station also are three metro stations.
Reason for the construction of the station was the ever increasing number of passengers, the railway line from Moscow to Bryansk, which has already been laid in the 1890s and opened in 1899. The operation of the line made a new railhead necessary, which should serve them. In the first years after its commissioning was the Bryansk station, as he was then called, housed in a temporary non-residential buildings, which soon could no longer meet the requirements. Furthermore, needed the former locomotives between the arrival and departure so much time that many terminal stations in more than 15 tracks you need to give them to offer parking spaces.
1912 approved the Railway Administration funds for the construction of a new central station for the Moscow - Bryansk line. It was built in the same place as the old one, at what was then the western outskirts of Moscow. The construction lasted from 1914 until 1917. Upon his completion of the former railway station Bryansk was considered one of the finest and most spacious among the great railway stations of the city.
Even today, a major transportation hub for connections in the Ukraine and South Eastern Europe the Kiev railway station. The station building was recently completely renovated in 2004.
Designed by the architect Ivan Rerberg in a neoclassical style station building is now considered an important architectural monument. The middle four station tracks are spanned by a 30 meter high glass circular structure that is 232 m long and 47.9 m wide and a weight of more than 1250 tons has. The fine steel arms that give the arc stability, are parabolic. This structure, which was designed by the famous engineer Vladimir Shukhov (a similar roof structure Shukhov had created 20 years earlier on the building of the Moscow GUM department store on Red Square ) demonstrates the fineness of the grandiose and majestic building.
In addition, the Bell Tower, the anreicht to the concourse, with its height of 51 m, a distinctive feature of this station. Because of its height and the clock attached to it, he was sometimes affectionately known as " Big Ben" called.
Long-distance passenger trains consist of the Kiev railway station currently including in the following cities:
In addition, local trains run from here (so-called Elektritschki ), among others by Naro- Fominsk, Obninsk and Kaluga. Likewise, the international Moscow 's Vnukovo Airport is connected via an express train running every hour since 2005.