Klaus Traube ( Robert Klaus Traube, born February 25, 1928 in Hannover ) is a former managers and environmental scientists. In the 1970s he changed from top managers of the nuclear power industry to the declared opponents of this form of energy. After his change of heart, he was illegally intercepted by the German constitutional protection, which triggered a political affair after the disclosure. He is regarded as a symbol of German anti - nuclear movement.
Life and work
In the Third Reich Klaus Traube and his family were subjected to anti-Semitic persecution; 1936 his father took his own life. After the Second World War, studied grape in Braunschweig engineering and Romance Philology. He was a research assistant at the Institute of Thermodynamics at the Technical University of Munich, where he also received his doctorate.
From 1959 to 1976 Grape worked in the German and American nuclear industry: as the director of the department of AEG nuclear reactors at General Dynamics in San Diego and most recently as managing director of the plant union subsidiary Inter atom. There he was responsible among other things for the development and construction of the breeder reactor in Kalkar.
1972 Klaus Traube joined the Social Democratic Party of Germany ( SPD).
In the eavesdropping scandal grape grape was 1975/76 victim of eavesdropping by the Federal Office for Protection of the Constitution. This was based on the accusation, to have sought the proximity to the terrorist Red Army Faction. This accusation proved to be totally unfounded. The exposed by the magazine Der Spiegel on February 26, 1977 affair escalated into a government crisis, as a result the interior minister responsible Werner Maihofer resigned.
After listening affair to grape transformed into a respected environmental scientist who strongly made in books and articles for the development and promotion of alternative energy sources, and the remainder in the field of environment and energy was scientifically and verification activities. From 1990 to 1997, grape director of the Institute for Municipal Energy Economics and Policy at the University of Bremen, after which he worked as a freelancer. Volunteering Traube worked among other things as energy policy spokesman for the Association for the Environment and Nature Conservation Germany ( BUND) and Vice President of the Federation combined heat and power ( B.KWK ).
For the generation that West Germans, who received mid-1970s, the fight against nuclear power plants, Klaus Traube is a symbolic figure. He now lives near Frankfurt am Main.
1984 Klaus Traube "The political book" of the Friedrich -Ebert -Stiftung and in March 2009 with the Federal Cross of Merit, First Class was awarded the prize.
Writings (selection )
- Post in: Wolf- Dieter Narr (ed.): We, the citizens as a security risk: prohibition and Bugging; Contribution to the constitution of our republic ( rororo date, 4181 ). Rowohlt, Reinbek 1977.
- Post in: Evangelical academics shaft in Germany (ed.): Solidarity live, survive. Texts, reports, proposals for new lifestyle from the "Protestant Akademikertag in Königstein, Taunus ". Radius -Verlag, Stuttgart 1979, ISBN 3-87173-543-4.
- If the worst-case scenario really be ruled out with us. In: After the meltdown. Chernobyl and the consequences. Rowohlt, Reinbek 1986, ISBN 3-499-15921- X, pp. 71-82.
- An exit is still possible. In: Trade union Monatshefte, Vol 37 (1986 ), No. 6, pp. 371-379, ISSN 0016-9447
- Should we switch? Of the political boundaries of technology. 2nd edition Rowohlt, Reinbek 1978, ISBN 3-498-06469- X.
- Growth or asceticism? Critique of the industrialization of needs ( rororo - date, 4532 ). Rowohlt, Reinbek 1982, ISBN 3-499-14532-4 (EA 1979).
- Against the nuclear state. 9th Edition Zweitausendeins Verlag, Frankfurt / M. 1979 ( along with Wolf Biermann, Otto Köhler, Günter Wallraff Günter Zint and ).
- The future of progress. Socialism and the crisis of industrialism. Verlag Neue Gesellschaft, Berlin, 1984 ( together with Johano Strasser ).
- Cheaper nuclear power? As the interests of the electricity industry determine the energy policy. Random House, Reinbek 1982, ISBN 3-499-4947-8 (formally wrong ISBN ) (together with Otto Ullrich ).
- Saving energy from A to Z. A practical guide for everyone. Verlag CJ Bucher, Luzern 1984, ISBN 3-7658-0325-1 (along with Meinrad Ballmer ).
- . Traffic 2000 Towards an ecologically and socially sustainable road transport ( alternative concepts; Vol. 51). 3rd ed Müller, Karlsruhe 1992, ISBN 3-7880-9847-3 (together with Helmut Holzapfel and Otto Ullrich ).
- Energy policies on the ground. Decentralized energy: eco-friendly, eco-friendly, fair use. 2nd edition Cologne people sheet, Cologne 1986, ISBN 3-923243-12- X (along with Jobst Klien, Dorothea Schubert and others )
- Plutonium economy? The financial debacle of breeder reactor and reprocessing ( rororo - date, 5444 ). Rowohlt, Reinbek 1986, ISBN 3-499-15444-7.
- Technology control in the risk society. Publishing new company, Bonn 1988, ISBN 3-87831-463-9 (along with Albert Kuhlmann, Carl Reinert, Sylvius Hartwig, Rainer Hohlfeld, Karl Hans Simmrock, Christoph Zöpel ).
- The Atom scandal. Alkem, Nukem and the consequences. Rowohlt, Reinbek 1988, ISBN 3-499-12472-6.
- What can Germany regarding a brisk expansion of combined heat and power generation learn from other countries? (Edition of Hans Boeckler Foundation, Vol 22). Hans Boeckler Foundation, Dusseldorf 1999, ISBN 3-928204-93-9 (together with Lutz Mez and Annette Piening ).
- Current evaluation of combined heat and power generation. Ecological and economic effects of a medium-term development of combined heat and power for Nah-/Fernwärmeversorgung in Germany ( Local Economic research and practice, Vol 3). Publisher Peter Lang, Frankfurt / M. 2000, ISBN 3-631-37371-6 (along with Wolfgang Schulz ).
- Klaus Traube talks about his life. "The past is something that I remember, but it has nothing Bedrängendes more " (Edition witnessing a time). Paul Lazarus Foundation, Wiesbaden, 2013, ISBN 978-3-942902-08-3 (1 audio CD).