The Little Grasbrookhafen is a district of Hamburg in the district of Hamburg-Mitte. Here are almost exclusively plants of the Port of Hamburg. Since the port shifted in the course of containerization downriver, lie fallow many surfaces, so that a change of use of the area is planned.
- 5.1 Museums
- 5.2 Structures
The former inland island lies between Veddel (upstream), Steinwerder (downstream) and William Castle in the south. On the opposite side of the island Norderelbe former affiliated Big Grasbrookhafen, which is followed by the Hamburg city center is. The name component - brook points out that it formerly acted by a low-lying, damp, broken country.
The island Grasbrookhafen served in the early days of Hamburg citizens as cattle pasture. In 1549 was severed by the construction of the so-called New trench, which should lead to more water from the Southern Elbe in the North Elbe, the Grasbrookhafen. The present course of the Norderelbe but was created by a puncture in 1604. By straightening the Elbe prevented to a silting up of the harbor. Middle of the 19th century, the island Schumacher Werder was incorporated by diking in the Lesser Grasbrookhafen. 1871, the Small Grasbrookhafen was raised to the suburb and 1894 incorporated. Since then, it forms its own district, in the Great Veddel was included ( the Veddel district includes the area of the Little Veddel ).
The Little Grasbrookhafen was determined south of the North Elbe for the first port expansion area long before its annexation by the Senate. From 1838 channels and quays were built. The Southwest Harbor, which served as Petroleumhafen, 1879 the first dock was built south of the Elbe. When the free port of Hamburg has been created due to Customs port of Hamburg followed the Segelschiffhafen (1888), the Hansahafen (1893 ), the India port and the Oberland port (1894 ) as seaports. For the port facilities had until 1887 the existing houses and their inhabitants soft. They were relocated to areas north of the Elbe. Only at the Harburg road there are a few isolated residential development. South followed at the same time for the inland navigation system of Moldauhafen (1887 ), Saalehafen (1888), Spreehafen (1890) and Klütjenfelder harbor. From the beginning of the 20th century, the Hamburg port railway opened up the area.
Even today can find individual traces of the buildings from the 19th century. During World War II the building was destroyed on the small Grasbrookhafen to 90%. Reconstruction and restructuring led to the India port and large parts of Southwest Harbor and the sailing ship harbor were filled. In the field of sailing ship harbor in 1978, the fruit and cooling center HHLA was put into operation, which was among the most modern in Europe long. Even today are still at O'Swaldkai fruits - especially bananas - deleted, stored tempered and redistributed. North of the fruit center is the terminal HHLA UNIKAI subsidiary, which mainly RoRo ships dispatches there. Built in 1967 HHLA overseas center on the Vltava port was at his inauguration as the largest collecting and distributing shed in the world. 2003 closed HHLA and Rhenus a joint venture; this operates (as of August 2013), the overseas center.
For the election to citizenship and the District Assembly is one of the Small Grasbrookhafen the constituency Billstedt- William Castle -Finkenwerder. The state election in 2011 led to the following result:
- SPD: 36.1 % ( 0.9)
- The Left: 19.3 % ( - 1.8 )
- GAL: 19.1% ( 4.3 )
- CDU: 5.3% ( - 11.9 )
- FDP: 1.6% ( 0.8)
- Other 18.6% ( 7.7 )
( Result for Small Grasbrookhafen and Steinwerder together)
Economy and infrastructure
The district is characterized almost exclusively due to its location by the harbor. The Hamburg Port Authority ( HPA ), formerly Office of power and port construction, the competent governmental authority for the entire port area (not just the little Grasbrookhafen ). Your subordinate to the Hamburg port railway, which operates the rail traffic in the port area. On the little Grasbrookhafen is the port station Hamburg- Süd.
And S 31 on the edge of town part of the S-Bahn station Veddel that of the S -Bahn lines S 3 (- Altona - Central Station - Harburg - Neugraben - - Buxtehude Stade Pinneberg ) is (Altona - Central Station - Harburg) is operated. In addition to the bus 256, the land side opens up from the tram station and the Old Elbe Tunnel Veddel from the little Grasbrookhafen, playing in the rush especially HADAG ferry line 73, which comes from the St. Pauli Landing Bridges, a role.
In addition to the HPA in the district, especially the customs plays a major role. Large parts of the Main Customs Office Hamburg harbor are located across from Shed 50 and the Veddeler dam. The three responsible for the eastern part of the port customs clearance of the Customs Office Hamburg- Waltershof are opposite of scales 50 (Australia Road ), on the road tunnel on the border with Veddel and at the northern end of the Elbe bridges ( Zweibrückenstraße ).
Culture and sights
- In the harbor museum in the shed 50, a branch of the Museum of Work, historical labor and material handling machines, cultural and historical exhibitions and particular objects and memories of extinct professions in the harbor can be seen. The shed was built from 1908 to 1912 and is now one of the last flakes in wooden structure in the harbor. The front building (photo) shows elements of the Hamburg Reform architecture of the time.
- At the outdoor facilities at the Bremer Kai / Hansahafen, handling and steam systems are exposed to land and water, as well as historic ships, including Straddle carriers, the steam floating crane Saatse, some Kastenschuten and the general cargo vessel bleaching. Taking care of some ships is in the hands of the Hamburg Maritime Foundation.
- Also behind the shed at Bremer Kai, is the association of friends of the historic port railway eV restored vehicles of the Hamburg port railway and other industrial and industrial railways.
Despite the ongoing modernization located on the Little Grasbrookhafen older testimonies of the Hamburger Hafen Architecture:
- On Saalehafen in Dessauer Straße is one of the oldest historic warehouse, the warehouse G, which served as a subcamp of the Neuengamme concentration camp in World War II.
- Directly opposite one still in use today very old shed, which dates back to the early days of the port railway is ( picture)