The former political district Knittel field was centrally located in Styria. On 1 January 2011, the district had 29,095 inhabitants on 578.11 km ². The administrative headquarters was Knittel field. The license plate was KF.
1907-1932 consisted in Knittelfeld already a Political Expositur the District Commission Jews castle. The district Knittel field was separated by Regulation of the Styrian Provincial Government on 20 February 1946 by the District Jews castle. Already on March 29, 1946, the solemn establishment of the District Commission Knittel field took place. In the course of an imagined in 2011 by the Styrian Provincial Government reform agenda districts Jews castle and Knittel field were merged again on January 1, 2012, the name of the newly built district is District Mur.
The district Knittel field was divided into 14 municipalities, including two townships and two market towns. In parentheses are the numbers of inhabitants from 1 January 2011.