Kristin Hersh was born in Atlanta, the daughter of the philosophy professor William James Hersh ( Salve Regina University ), but grew up in Newport, Rhode Iceland. With nine she learned to play the guitar and songwriting by her father taught. In the early 80s she founded with her stepsister Tanya Donelly, the band Throwing Muses. With this band you an international breakthrough in the indie rock scene. In 1994, she began a solo career. In 2008 she published single tracks of 11 songs under a Creative Commons Noncommercial License at ccMixter. Stand January 15, 2012 were prepared from 141 remixes.
Hersh is with Billy O'Connell, one of their managers, is married and has four sons.
- Live at Maxwell's, Hoboken (1992 )
- Hips and Makers (1994 )
- Murder, Misery and Then Goodnight (1998)
- Strange Angels (1998)
- Sky Motel (1999)
- Sunny Border Blue ( 2001)
- The Grotto (2003)
- Learn to Sing Like a Star (2007)
- Speedbath (2009)
- Cats and Mice (2010)
- Crooked (2010)
- Strings (1994, EP)
- Your Ghost, a duet with Michael Stipe (1994, Single)
- The Holy Single (1995, EP)
- Like You (1998, Single)
- Echo (1999, Single)
- A Cleaner Light (2000, EP)
- In Shock (2007, EP)
On the justified of her open- source platform CASH Music Hersh offers every month a new song exclusively for download.
- Council of Girl: A Memoir (2010)
- Paradoxical Undressing (2011)