2487 ( March 31, 2013 )
Kviteseid is a Norwegian municipality in Telemark Fylke with 2487 inhabitants (as of March 31, 2013 ). It is bordered on the west by Tokke, on the north by Seljord, to the east and south to Nome Drangedal, Nissedal and Fyresdal. Kviteseid is located on the central part of the Vest- Telemark vassdraget and occupies the eastern part of the Bandak and Kviteseidvatnet and the western part of the Flåvatnet, as well as the valleys in the northern part, including Morgedal. In addition, located in the south Vrådal on Vråvatn and the northern part of the pixies. The seat of government is in the same village. The coat of arms of the municipality ( approved in 1987 ) consists of a black lock sign on golden background. It symbolizes the architecture and tradition. The design comes from Tele Markhofgasse Tveitloft from Tinn, which was spent in 1994 to the Norwegian Folk Museum in Frogner in Oslo.
The rivers are deeply incised between steep mountains, which there are strong differences in height. The rock of the mountain belongs to the whole community for the so-called basement rocks, mainly quartzite, amphibolite and gneiss in the north, and granite in the south and east. The existing granite mountains are more rounded than the other. The highest mountain is the Sveinsheia ( 1141 m above sea level. NN ) and lies on the border to Fyresdal.
From 1875 to 1946, the population of Kviteseid remained stable at approximately 3250 inhabitants. Subsequently, the population increased to about 1970 off and stabilized at about 2950th From the 80s, the number further back and in the period 1994-2004 with 6.9% then 2622 inhabitants. This was the largest percentage decline in population throughout the county of Telemark in the period. Most of the buildings located in and around the town and administrative center Kviteseid, in Vrådal, as well as in Morgedal.
Agriculture and forestry are the main economic activities in the Vest- Telemark. Kviteseid has very strong downhill terrain. The keeping of animals is the most important part, but in the lowlands near the lakes various fruit and berry farms are operated. In addition to the great forests that Cappelen and Aall in Ulefoss include most other forest areas forests belonging to individual farms. Most of the industry is the forest and forestry belonging. Municipalities are many hotels and inns.
Kviteseid was the natural center of Vest- Telemark at the time the water runs, the roads were to Skien. The E134 goes through Kviteseid. The RV41 from Kristiansand goes by the management center and meets in Brunkeberg on the E134. The Fv.38 leads from Eidstod together with the Rv.41 on the north side of Vråvatn along after Åmot Vinje. The Fv.355 connects Vråliosen with Fyresdal. In summer there is a boat route on the Telemark Canal between Skien and Dalen.
History and Culture
The old church of Kviteseid on Kviteseidvatnet is a stone church from the early Middle Ages in the Romanesque style. It was built in 1150. Next to the church is the open air museum Kviteseid Bygdetun with old buildings from the region. The Church of Brunkeberg, cross wooden church dating back to 1790, was restored in 1939. A beautiful view over the village, you have the Kviteseid Hotel. Was in Morgedal, a place in which lights the Olympic torch for the Winter Games in 1952, 1960 and 1994 is the Skihistorische Museum Norsk Skievetyr, and the Bjålandmuseum.
- Olav Bjaaland, polar explorer
- Sondre Norheim, ski pioneer
- Solveig Muren Sanden, artist and illustrator
- Aslaug Vaa, author
- Dyre Vaa, sculptor
- Store Norske leksikon / SNL