La Maddalena, Venice

Santa Maria Maddalena in Cannaregio, often called La Maddalena, is a church in the Cannaregio district of the same name Campo in Venice.

At the latest in 1155 was located on the site of the present church oratory, which was owned by the noble family Balbo, or at the site of the former house castle, Castel Baffo. After the end of the four wars that led Venice against Genoa, and ended in 1356, the Senate decided each year public celebrations in honor of St.. Mary Magdalene hold. To this end, the building was extended and a tower added, which later became a Campanile. There is a Madonna and Child from the 15th century on the outside of the apse. The portal reminiscent of the Balbo and probably plays on their role in the Knights Templar on.

1701, the altars were rebuilt at the request of the community priest Francesco Riccardi. 1760 the building was demolished and completely rebuilt under the direction of Tommaso Temanza ( 1705-1789 ) 1763-1778. Temanza drew his inspiration from the Roman Pantheon and had a corresponding circular building with six sides, alternating with deep niches and build with four side chapels and a choir. Thus Temanza created an external circular building that was inside dodecagonal. He was buried in the church he created.

During French rule, the church lost its status in 1810 as a parish church, in 1820 it was closed to again serve as an oratory. The bell tower was demolished in 1888. Today, the church belongs to the municipality of San Marcuola.

Twelve ionic pillars that symbolize the apostles, support the dome. Four Ionic half-columns supporting the tympanum and attic. In the lunette of the portal is an allegorical representation of the Solomon Islands and divine wisdom. Right next to the entrance is located in the interior of a painting by Giandomenico Tiepolo, The Last Supper.