La Roche, Fribourg
La Roche ( Freiburg Patois La Rotse? / I ) is a municipality in the canton of Fribourg Greyerzbezirk in Switzerland. The former German name Zurflüh is no longer used today.
La Roche is located on 747 m above sea level. M., 11 km north-east of the district main town cop (air line). The hamlet extends in the valley of the brook Serbache, a right side Bach lake of Gruyère, at the western foot of Berra, in the Fribourg foothills of the Alps.
The area of 24.0 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the pre-Alpine landscape at the foot of the Berra. The western part of the municipality is occupied by the valley of the Serbache that springs with numerous spring-fed streams on the western slope of La Berra and Cousimbert. The Serbache flows into the Lake of Gruyere, only a small part of one of La Roche from the mouth of the creek. North of the Valley of the Serbache the communal land extends to the Forest Hill La Combe ( 1'082 m above sea level. M. ). A large part of the mostly densely forested western slope of Flyschberge La Berra ( with 1'719 m above sea. M. the highest elevation of the community ) and Cousimbert ( 1,633 m above sea level. M. ) is in the area of La Roche. The slope is divided by several small valleys. A small proportion of the municipal area is beyond the crest of the Cousimbert in Plasselbschlund, the headwaters of the Ärgera. From the municipality surface 1997 4 % came from settlements, 47 % of forest and shrubs, 47% to agriculture and slightly less than 2% was unproductive land.
At La Roche include the settlements Le Villaret (740 m above sea level. M. ) southwest, Le Tsubel (760 m above sea level. M. ) and La Serbache (778 m above sea level. M. ) northeast of the village in the valley of Serbache, Sur Montsoflo ( 950 m above sea level. M. ) on the western slope of Berra and numerous individual farms. Neighboring communities of La Roche are Pont- la -Ville, Treyvaux, Le Mouret, Plasselb, Val -de- Charmey and Hauteville.
With 1449 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) La Roche is a medium-sized municipalities in the canton of Fribourg. Of the residents 92.5 % are French-speaking, German-speaking 3.5 % and 2.4 % portugiesischsprachig (as of 2000). The population of La Roche amounted in 1900 to 1081 inhabitants. During the 20th century, she commuted 1000-1130 people. Only since 1980 (1027 inhabitants) a significant population increase was recorded.
La Roche was until the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by farming village. Even today, animal husbandry and dairying, and to a lesser extent agriculture an important role in the economic structure of the population. More jobs are available in the local small businesses and especially in the service sector. The village has several small enterprises such as carpentry, carpenters and wood processing enterprises have settled. In good snow conditions in winter are on the western slope of Berra several ski lifts in operation. In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community. Many employed persons are therefore commuters who Bulle and Fribourg work in the regions.
The community is conveniently technically quite well developed. It lies on the main road from Freiburg to Broc. By bus Transports Publics Fribourgeois ( TPF ), which ply the routes from Fribourg to Bulle and Fribourg to Jaun, La Roche is connected to the public transport network. Another line connects the village with the Pont -la -Ville.
The municipality of La Roche was already settled in Roman times, which could be confirmed by finds of Roman coins and jewelery. In the Middle Ages, the village was owned by the noble family La Roche, which probably descended from the Lords of the Corbières and went out in the 14th century. In 1349, the area went through purchase to the Bishop of Lausanne.
After the conquest of Vaud by Bern La Roche came as a former episcopal area 1537 in Canton Fribourg rule and was assigned along with the neighboring village of Pont- la -Ville an exclave of the Bailiwick of bull. During the French Revolution, settled in the village Trappists from France. After the collapse of the ancien régime (1798 ) belonged to the village during the Helvetic Republic and the subsequent period up to 1848 to the then District bull before it was incorporated in the district of Gruyère.
Since 1656 La Roche forms its own parish. The church dates from the 17th century and later restored several times. The Chapel of Notre- Dame de Compassion was built in 1550 and was in the 17th and 18th centuries an important pilgrimage site. At La Roche ruins of a built under Ulrich von Vuippens tower from the 13th century are still preserved.