Lafayette is a city and county seat of Tippecanoe County in the U.S. state of Indiana, 101 km (63 miles) northwest of Indianapolis.
Lafayette had according to a census of 2010 a population of 67 140. Together with its sister city West Lafayette, on the opposite side of the Wabash River, it forms Greater Lafayette.
Lafayette is the seat of the Diocese of Lafayette in Indiana.
The area of today's Tippecanoe County was inhabited by a tribe of Miami, known as Ouiatenon or Wea. The French government established in 1717 the fort Ouiatenon over the Wabash River and 5 km south of the present-day Lafayette.
Like many small border towns of the city was named after General Lafayette, a French military hero who fought with the U.S. Army and a leading advisor this was during the American Revolutionary War.
- Sydney Pollack, film director and actor
- Victor Potel (1889-1947), actor
- Axl Rose, lead singer of the band Guns N 'Roses
- Izzy Stradlin, former guitarist for Guns N 'Roses
- Brandon Wagner, American racing driver
- Shannon Hoon, lead singer of the band Blind Melon
- Claudia Lee, Actress
- Place in Indiana
- Location in North America
- Lafayette ( Indiana)
- County Seat in Indiana
- Marie -Joseph Motier, Marquis de La Fayette