The Lago di Martignano (also Martignanosee; Latin Lacus Alsietinus ) is a lake in Latium volcanic origin, as well as the basin around Lake Bracciano Lago di Monte Rosi, the Stracciacappa and the Valle di Baccano, the latter two have dried up today.
The lake is divided between the municipalities of Rome, Anguillara Sabazia and Campagnano di Roma.
The lake has some smaller tributaries, of which the most restricted seasonally, but no outlet.
The Lago di Martignano is of volcanic origin. He is one of the last crater of Vulcano Sabatino, who went out about 40,000 years ago and it filled with water.
He was since the Bronze Age, about 1500 BC, settled. The Romans built several villas on the shore. They visited the lake for the summer and took advantage of the water through the aqueduct of the Aqua Alsietina, which was built in the year 2 BC by Augustus to provide the Naumachia in Trastevere, which was dedicated to Julius Caesar. It was not until the migration period, the area was depopulated around the lake, as people sought refuge in the fortified cities.
At the lake there are no settlements except for a few farm buildings and because it is not accessible by road, the lake remained almost untouched. Today it is a popular destination for swimmers, hikers and canoeists.
The lake is located in the protection zone of the Regional Natural Park of the lakes of Bracciano and Martignano.
Lago di Martignano front, rear Bracciano
Lago di Martignano