Lambeth Palace is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury and is located in Lambeth, on the south bank of the Thames, a short distance upstream of the Palace of Westminster.
The Archdiocese bought the palace around the year 1200. Nowadays it is as namesake and former conference center ( 1867-1968 ) of every ten -yearly Lambeth Conference, a meeting of the main Anglican bishops known.
In 2010, the exhibition Treasures of Lambeth Palace Library took place in the palace. They showed, among other things, the private collection of Archbishop Richard Bancroft, who bequeathed his library at his death on November 2, 1610.