The Landscape Park Duisburg -Nord ( also briefly LaPaNo or LaPaDu, popularly known as " Landi " ), an approximately 200 -acre country park is around an abandoned steel mill in Duisburg -Meiderich, which was created as part of the International Building Exhibition Emscher Park. The Country Park is one of the anchor points of the European Route of Industrial Heritage and the Route of Industrial Heritage in the Ruhr.
The former factory was founded in 1901 by the then " Rhenish Steel Works to Meiderich at Ruhr place ", later a subsidiary of the Thyssen group. The five blast furnaces produced in their 84 years 37 million tonnes of special cast iron - usually as a precursor for further processing in the Thyssen'schen steel mills.
The blast furnaces 3 and 4 were in 1968 and demolished in 1970. The blast furnaces 1 and 2 were shut down in 1982, leaving only the built until 1973 blast furnace 5 remained in operation. 1985 this was also shut down in the European steel market after just twelve years of operation due to overcapacity. Thyssen moved the steel production in the surrounding, much larger and modern equipped main production areas on the Rhine (factory Bruckhausen and Schwelgern, now part of ThyssenKrupp Steel).
In the period following the old road between Hamborn and Meiderich with all buildings and the remaining three blast furnaces project of the International Building Exhibition ' Emscher Park "and for an international architectural competition was announced by the landscape architect Peter Latz Partner won. Since 1988, the association community of interest North Duisburg supports the plans of implementation. From 1990 to 1999, the halls, buildings and the outside grounds were redesigned by the architects and made so umnutzbar that the park today counts among experts to the most important projects of Landscape Architecture at the turn of the millennium. In 1994, the park was opened to the public. It now forms an anchor point on the route of industrial culture and is integrated into the European Route of Industrial Heritage.
Comparable museum, but much smaller blast furnace ensembles can be found in Hattingen with the previous Henrichshütte, also last an operation of Thyssen AG, and in Dortmund- Horde with the remaining two blast furnaces of Hoesch AG in Phoenix -West.
Since then, the smelter was established in 1994 first presented to the public, use visitors, hikers, cyclists, sports clubs, promoters and communities of interest the park for their own purposes. The Duisburg Marketing GmbH, a holding company of the city of Duisburg, controls up today the further development of the project Landscape Park Duisburg -Nord.
- Divers developed in the filled with 20,000 cubic meters of water gasometer, which at the Zeche Bochum Prince Regent had been in operation until 1920, a training center, which is used due to its versatile underwater landscape of amateur divers as well as police and fire.
- The German Alpine Club built in a part of Erzbunkeranlage an alpine climbing with approximately 400 routes from Level 2 to 9, and in the casthouse of blast furnace 2, there is a height climbing course.
- The former blast furnace 5 was made accessible to the tip. At a height of about 70 meters you have a very good view over the city of Duisburg and the neighboring towns into it. In good weather, the Düsseldorf TV tower can be seen.
- The former power station, the cast house and the Blower House Complex were refurbished as part of the development of the landscape park and converted into multi-functional venues. So got the cast house - the Abstichhalle of the blast furnace 1 - a tribune and a roof, here is an open-air cinema in the summer instead. The steam blower house was converted into a theater with 500 seats. In August 2010, the reconstruction of the first performance of Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 8 ( Symphony of a Thousand ) with over a thousand singers and musicians of many Ruhr orchestra took place in the former power station. Similarly, the German premiere of the group choreography Vertical Road was staged by the British dancer Akram Khan.
- Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and on public holidays, industrial plants with nightfall by a colored lighting from Jonathan Park are staged.
- There are guided tours for children and adults both day and night. For this purpose a registration in the visitor center is required. Groups can choose among ten different guides and games. The visitor center is affiliated with a bike rental; more bike stations are located along the route of the industrial culture. The visitor center also offers detailed information on the route of the industrial culture as well as books, postcards and souvenirs relating to the Ruhr.
- On the first floor of the magazine building a permanent exhibition on the history of the steel mill was established.
- Another landmark of the country park - besides the three chimneys - is the windmill, which can be seen even from a distance. It is connected via a gearbox with a water pump and promotes a screw, the water of the Old Emscher for the bunker gardens. By oxygenating the biological quality of the watercourse is improved simultaneously.
- During the annual extra layer of landscaped park one of the central venues.