Latina is the capital of the province and the second largest city in the Lazio region of Italy with 119 426 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012). Latina is the first realized during the fascist plan city in Italy. It was built from 1932.
- 5.1 Coat of Arms
- 5.2 Town twinning
Latina is located 67 km southeast of Rome and 159 km north-west of Naples in the Pontine plain, which extends from the Monte Circeo up to the city limits of Rome. With the districts of Lido di Foce Verde, Lido di Latina and Lido di Capo porters, the city has three resorts on the Tyrrhenian Sea. The urban area extends north to the foot of the Monti Lepini.
The coastal lake Lago di Fogliano is part of the Circeo National Park. This also includes the Botanical Garden of Borgo di Villa Fogliano and the estate of the Caetani from the 18th century.
The municipality covers an altitude from 0 to 75 meters above the sea level.
The municipality is located in the seismic zone 3 (slightly endangered).
Latina is into the seven districts Latina Centro ( center ), Latina Ovest (West), Latina Est (East), Latina Mare (sea ), Latina Nord, Sud and divided Latina Latina Scalo ( train station). The districts each have a president and 20 district councils, which are elected concurrently with the City Council.
The station Latina Scalo, 9 km north of the city center, on the railway line Roma - Formia -Naples.
As of 1930, Benito Mussolini, the Pontine Marshes south of Rome, dry place and colonize the acquired agricultural areas with farming families from Friuli and Veneto. The city was founded Littorias how Latina was originally called, first was in contradiction to the previous anti- urban fascist propaganda with its exaltation of rural country life, but was necessary because the proposed decentralized infrastructure management and care of the territories newly acquired could not be sure. On June 30, 1932 submitted to the Commissioner for reclamation Orsolini Cencelli the foundation stone for the new administrative center, as a town planner of the little-known architect Oriolo Frezzotti was committed.
The city was built on a ground plan in the shape of an octagon. The buildings were, in contrast to the slightly later start-ups such as Sabaudia, still held in the first phase in a deliberately simple and rural style and built because of the obvious incompatibility with the official party line without publicity work. Only towards the end of the year Mussolini built the towns founded as a farming community centers ( Centri comunali Agricoli ) in the ideological concept of draining. Already on 18 December 1932 he dedicated from the town hall balcony the new city Littoria with great propaganda effort. Under the amended sign now emerged as modern buildings like the post office Angiolo Mazzoni (1934 ). Littoria 1934 capital of the newly founded province.
The name was derived Littoria ago by the fasces, which are a central symbol of the Italian fascists. For this reason the city was renamed in 1946 in Latina.
In Latina is pharmaceutical and chemical industry, cheese production, a strong service sector in 1987 and switched off nuclear power plant Latina and the nuclear power plant CIRENE, whose construction was canceled in 1987. The two nuclear power plants fall far outside the city. The Italian Air Force operates on the airfield of Latina a flight school and NATO has here its Technical School (NATO Communication and Information System School, NCISS ).
Vincenzo Zaccheo ( PdL to 2008 National Alliance ) was elected in May 2002 to the Mayor and confirmed in May 2007 in office. Despite a scandal from the year 2005, when a large mosaic was created, under the portico of the Town Hall, at his suggestion, which glorifies the fascist leader Benito Mussolini. His center-right alliance also provided with 25 of 40 seats, the majority in the City Council. His city government was forced in April 2010 to resign after the television program Striscia la notizia the recording of a confidential conversation by Zaccheo was published, in which he complained to region president Renata Polverini a party colleagues, whereupon 22 city councilors have withdrawn. In the early elections on 15-16. May 2011 won Giovanni Di Giorgi ( PdL ) the mayors, whose center-right alliance also provides 21 of the 32 councils.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms is a blue shield to represent the tower of the Palazzo Comunale, which rises from a swamp. He is surrounded by two golden grain bundles. On a tape of the city motto Latina olim palus is (Latina once a swamp ) to read. The crest alludes to the city's founding in the drained Pontine Marshes.
Latina is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Latina - Terracina - Sezze - Priverno.
- The football club U.S. Latina plays in the 2013/14 season in Serie B.
- From Volleyball Club Top Volley Latina the men's team in the first and the women's team plays in the second Italian league.
The Giro d' Italia in 1992 made a stopover in Latina. Here Guido Bontempi won the eighth stage.