Le Cannet ( Provençal Lo Lou or Canet Canet ) is a commune with 42 754 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the Alpes-Maritimes department in the Provence- Alpes- Côte d' Azur.
The town of Le Cannet is located about two kilometers from the Mediterranean coast north of the beaches and the port of Cannes. It is also called Madeira France. Pines, mimosas, eucalyptus plants and orange and olive groves growing on the slopes of rolling hills. From here you overlook the bay of Cannes, the Lerins Islands and the Esterel Mountains.
The climate is Mediterranean in Le Cannet. His well-protected by a semicircle of hills able pampered with a low rainfall microclimate that knows virtually no frost. Especially since the end of the 19th century drew this many people to spend their summer holidays in the region
Following the example of ancient Rome with its seven hills, following, includes the area of Le Cannet seven hills: Le Pezou, La Colle, Le Bosquet, Serra Capeou, Les Clauvins, font -Marie and Les Bréguières. An important Roman road which connects to the daughter of the emperor Augustus named Via Julia, the Arles with Rome, traversed these hills their course can be seen to this day.
Even in ancient times today's Le Cannet was colonized by the Romans after they had expelled the Celtic- Ligurian peoples of the area. They settled down, planted olive and gave it the name Olivetum.
In the 15th century monks enlisted by the Lerins families from the Oneilletal in today's Italy, to settle in the area and to cultivate land. In 1441 the abbey a Calvy Sylvestre, who is considered the founder of the town today, had to land for cultivation in Cannet. Between 1441 and 1500 came in this way a total of 140 families in the village. They divided the land into small hamlets that lay around the assigned country. Many of the family names are present today as names of districts of the town of Le Cannet again: Dany, Ardisson, Calvy, Escarasse, Gourrin, Apie.
Until 1778, when Le Cannet became an independent municipality, the city was part of the municipality of Cannes. Today, the urban areas of the two places merge into each other and form a conurbation with over 100,000 inhabitants.
Le Cannet is measured by its population, the sixth largest municipality of the department of Alpes- Maritimes. In terms of population density it is with almost 5,500 inhabitants per km ² clearly before Nice, with its almost 4,800 inhabitants per km ², in the first place. To owe the city has this. Especially a very rapid population growth in the 1960s, that of 1970 continued in attenuated form to the 1990s Since then remains fairly constant number of inhabitants.
Favored by its location and the typical Provencal environment, Le Cannet has a rich cultural and artistic heritage, especially characterizes the Old Town, which has a typical Provencal character with its ocher facades, narrow streets and narrow walkways.
- The fundamentally restored chapel Saint- Sauveur has a remarkable bell tower.
- The Church of Sainte -Catherine is listed as a monument historique since 1926. It was built in the 16th century by a decision of the population and is still the most important parish church of the village. Your square tower dominates the town.
- The chapel Notre- Dame-des- Anges is registered as a monument historique since 1941. It was built in 1557 on testamentary request of a member of an old family cannetanischen. It consists of a rectangular nave and an outwardly open porch.
- The tour of the Danys, which is also called robber tower is also classified as a monument historique since 1941. He bears the name of another long-established family of the city, dating from the mid-15th century ..
- Tour of Calvys bears the name of the oldest family of the city, which in 1441 began to cultivate land in Le Cannet. As conquerors invaded in 1707 in the region in the year, saved the tower residents who were able to retreat to him.
- The Chapel of Saint Bernardin, which is annexed to the Church of Sainte -Catherine, stood for a long time yet. Since 1999 it has served as an exhibition space.
Tour of the Church of Sainte- Philomène Calvys and
Villa Le Nid - Detail
Took advantage of many famous personalities and use the city as a summer retreat: the writer Prosper Mérimée, the tragedy actress Rachel, the painter Auguste Renoir; Lebasque Henri and Pierre Bonnard or Aga Khan III. with his dead in Le Cannet in 2000 wife Yvette Labrousse. The French racing driver Patrick Tambay was a member of the City Council of Le Cannet. The dramatist Victorien Sardou (1831-1908) was born in Le Cannet. The jazz musician and composer Richard Galliano came in 1950 in Le Cannet to the world.
- Lafayette in the U.S.
- Beauport, Canada
- Königstein im Taunus
- Benidorm in Spain
- Vila do Conde in Portugal
- Agnibilekrou in Ivory Coast