The district of Leer is a district in the north-west of Lower Saxony and forms the southern part of East Friesland.
- 4.1 street
- 4.2 rail
The Leer district is bordered to the north by the independent city of Emden and the district of Aurich and slightly to the counties Witt mouth and Friesland, on the east by the counties Ammer country and Cloppenburg, on the south by the district of Emsland and to the west by the Dutch province of Groningen. He also has a short coastline on the west Dollard, but also includes the westernmost of the East Frisian Islands, Borkum and Lütje horn. The county is on the mainland from the four historic landscapes Rheiderland ( west), Overledingerland (southeast), Moormerland (north) and Lengenbach Erland (northeast).
The southern boundary corresponds to the boundary between the historic county of Ostfriesland and the low pin Münster. She is still one of the strongest Protestant- Catholic religious denomination in Germany.
After the annexation of the Kingdom of Hanover by Prussia in 1867, the county vacancy was formed on 1 April 1885 the old offices empty and Stickhausen and the independent city of Leer. Administrative headquarters was the town of Leer. On 1 October 1932, the neighboring district Weener was dissolved and incorporated into the circle empty. Since 1939 is the official name of the district Landkreis Leer. In 1972, the municipalities Petkum and Widdelswehr the Leer district were incorporated into the city of Emden. 1973 were incorporated in the district of Aurich in the community Moormerland the Leer district Hatshausen, Jheringsfehn and Boekzetelerfehn. At the same time Neuefehn from the district of Aurich was incorporated into the municipality of the district Neukamperfehn empty.
1974 was finally Idafehn, until then part of the municipality in the district of Cloppenburg Strücklingen, part of the municipality Ostrhauderfehn and thus the Leer district. Idafehn belonged until 1974, so officially on Saterland and thus to Oldenburger Munsterland. It had been settled by Ostrhauderfehn but from which ordinary language is Ostfriesisches Platt, the predominant denomination Evangelical Lutheran.
The council belong to 54 elected members and the district administrator, since the local elections on 11 September 2011 it has eight parties or voter communities to.
Current composition of the county council after the local elections in 2011 ( Valid from 1 November 2011):
- SPD: 39.6 % / 21 seats
- CDU: 33.1 % / 18 seats
- Green: 13.5 % / 7 seats
- AWG: 4.6% / 3 seats
- The Left: 2.7 % / 2 seats
- BfR (Citizens for Rhauderfehn ): 2.6% / 1 seat
- FDP: 2.0 % / 1 seat
- The Frisians: 1.1% / 1 seat
District Administrator of the blank is since 2001 Bernhard Bramlage. At the end of his first term in office of the District Administrator in 2006 ran Bramlage once again for the post. In the local elections on 10 September 2006, he was confirmed with 67.7 % of the vote in his office.
Former county councilors and senior district directors
Senior district directors
Country councils of the circle Weener
Coat of arms
In the coat of arms of the district of a four leaf clover reflects the four historic landscapes Rheiderland, Overledingerland, Moormerland and Lengenbach Erland. In addition to the cloverleaf are ears of corn, which symbolize the agricultural character of the area. Ears of corn and clover crown a blue heraldic shield, on which a white lion is overthrown with a golden crown to see the neck. This is the old coat of arms of the chief Focko Ukena, who ruled in the 15th century on the territory of today's district. The coat of arms of the district of Leer was approved on August 12, 1952 by the Lower Saxony Ministry of Interior and Awarded with the 1st main statute of the district on October 22, 1958.
The district of Leer and has a well developed network of highways and rural roads. In addition, by the district runs the Autobahn A 28 Leer in Oldenburg and the A 31 in the direction of Emden in the Ruhr. They meet at the motorway junction Empty. The short A 280 between the A 31 at Weener and the Dutch border in Neuschanz runs completely on the Leer district area. In the district and there is 376 km of district roads.
The district is empty by the railroad north-south range Emden - crossed the Rhine, which was opened in 1854 by the Hanoverian State Railways - Leer - Meppen. The east- west connection Oldenburg - Weener - Neuschanz presented the Oldenburg State Railways from 1869 to 1876 Leer and forth from Ihrhove. Today, there is a direct connection from idle up to Groningen.
On the circle belonging to the island of Borkum, Borkum operates the light railway and steamship GmbH since 1888, several island railway lines in the narrow gauge 900 mm.
Another narrow-gauge railway came in 1900, added the circular path empty Aurich -Witt mouth. With the district-owned small train Ihrhove - Westrhauderfehn GmbH the railway network in 1912 was completed.
This included the railway network with passenger on the mainland 84 Kleinbahnen. Of these, only the 29 km narrow gauge railways were shut down, their route is the Ostfriesland trail today:
Today, in the district of Leer Leer and Weener only two stations operated on the mainland by passenger traffic.
Cities and Towns
In brackets the number of inhabitants on 31 December 2012.
- Borkum, city ( 5132 )
- Jemgum ( 3617 )
- Leer ( Ostfriesland), city, community self-employed ( 33 851 )
- Moormerland ( 22,553 )
- Ostrhauderfehn ( 10,559 )
- Rhauderfehn ( 17,283 )
- Uplengen ( 11,390 )
- Weener, city ( 15,550 )
- Westoverledingen ( 19,820 )
Joint communities with their member communities
* Head Samtgemeinde management
Free community area
- Lütje Horn Island (0.31 km ², uninhabited )