Leipzig–Dresden Railway Company
The Leipzig- Dresden Railway Company ( LDE) was a private railway company in Saxony. She pursued, inter alia, in 1839 opened the first German long-distance railway between Leipzig and Dresden. On 1 July 1876, the company was nationalized and went to the Royal Palaces. Saxon State Railways on.
The idea of a railway that Leipzig with Strehla should connect ( on the Elbe ), was expressed in 1830 in front of the Leipzig Kramer Master Carl Gottlieb Tenner. After in 1833 the economist Friedrich List in Leipzig his plans for a German railroad system published in Leipzig the role of the central node was intended, Tenners idea got a new impetus. In the same year a railway Comité was founded, which submitted a petition to build a railway from Leipzig to Dresden to the first parliament of Saxony in Dresden on 20 November 1833.
The incorporation of the Company
In 1835, the Leipzig- Dresden Railway Company et al Albert Dufour - Feronce ( 1798-1861 ), Gustav Harkort ( 1795-1865 ), Carl lamp ( 1804-1889 ) and Wilhelm Theodor Seyfferth was twelve citizens of Leipzig, ( 1807-1881), founded as a private limited company. For Easter Fair 1835, the shares of the Company were (nominally 100 Thaler ) fully subscribed within a few hours, so that was a capital of more than one million thalers available. On May 6, 1835 approved the regional government of Saxony construction and operation of the railway and the issuance of non-interest bearing Treasury notes worth 500,000 dollars. The total capital thus amounted to 1.5 million dollars.
The construction of the route Leipzig- Dresden
In October 1835, the English engineers examined Sir James Walker and Hawkshaw the configured routes and gave the northern route via Strehla ( estimated cost: 1.8085 million dollars ) preference over the above Meissen ( 1.956 million dollars ). On 16 November 1835, the land acquisition began for the section between Leipzig and the trough bridge north of Wurzen. On March 1, 1836, the groundbreaking ceremony was done. The construction management for the entire project was in the hands of the Saxon headwater building director Karl Theodor Kunz. But then leaned the City Council Strehla from the railway construction. Thus, the line was out in the 7 km southern Riesa over the Elbe. On April 7, 1839, the first train on the same bridge.
The commissioning of the route took place in several stages:
On April 7, 1839 with the completion of Riesa Elbe bridge, finally, the total distance from Leipzig to Dresden Dresden station was opened. After immediately following construction of the second track track track after the English model until 1884 (!) Was driven on at the left.
The construction of additional routes
On 1 December 1860, the Leipzig- Dresden Railway took a side arm in operation that branched off in Coswig from the main line and led to Meissen. On 14 May 1866, she opened the operation on another side arm that branched off in Borsdorf from the main line and initially led to Grimsby; but was eventually extended up to Meissen on October 28, 1867 by Leisnig, on June 2, 1868 chub on 25 October 1868 Nossen and on 22 December 1868 so that the result is the same southern route was created between Borsdorf and Coswig.
After the route of Nossen to Freiberg on July 15, 1873 - as part of the railway line Nossen -Moldova - was created, it was on November 2, 1875 and after Mulda / Sa. extended. On August 15, 1876 was to Moldova achieved with the ongoing construction of this section, the Bohemian border.
From 1851 to 1878 a 5.0 km long single-track line railway was run in Leipzig, which branched off from the Saxon- Bavarian Bayerischer Bahnhof railway, the town east circumnavigated in a wide arc and finally einmündete coming from the north in the Dresden train station.
Opened on October 14, 1862 Großenhainer branch line passed into the ownership of the LDE on 1 July 1869.
On 15 October 1875, the Leipzig- Dresden Railway opened a link from Riesa after Elsterwerda ( since 1815 with the Kingdom of Prussia), which was connected with Berlin and Dresden, since 17 July 1875.
Transition to the state railway
After the collapse of the Elbe bridge in Riesa decided on 29 March 1876, the general meeting of shareholders to sell the Dresden railway at the Saxon State. On July 1, 1876 the operation and management of the Leipzig- Dresden Railway were transferred to the Royal Saxon State Railways.
On the development of the Dresden railway from its origin as a private initiative, citizens of Leipzig until nationalization recalls since 1878 the railway monument in Leipzig.
- Leipzig -Dresden (* 1839)
- Leipzig Bayerischer Bahnhof Leipzig - Dresden railway station (1851-1878)
- Borsdorf - Coswig (* 1860/1868)
- Great Hain- Priestewitz (1868 acquired)
- Riesa- Elsterwerda (* 1875)
- Cooperative - Freiberg -Moldova (* 1876)
Operated on behalf of the owner routes
- Great Hain- Priestewitz (1862-1868)
- Great Hain- Cottbus (1870-1874)