Lensk (Russian Ленск, Yakut Ленскэй / Lenskej ) is a city in the Republic of Sakha ( Yakutia) in Russia. She has (October 14, 2010 Balance ) 24.966 inhabitants.
Lensk is the administrative center of the homonymous Rajons Lensk.
The village was founded by Russian fur hunters in 1663 named as Muchtukujewskaja at the site of an older settlement Evenki, Muchtui derived from the Evenk word for big water.
As part of Bering's Second Kamchatka was a coaching inn in the place now called Muchtuja. In the 19th and early 20th century was a political exile Muchtuja.
After the present city of Mirny diamond deposits were discovered in the 1950s in the catchment of Wiljui, the largest left tributary of the Lena to, the place was chosen as the closest in about 250 kilometers as a base for the development. The renaming of Muchtuja in Lensk happened in 1963 on the occasion of the town charter and makes reference to the names of rivers.
During the Lena flood in May 2001 Lensk came for a short time in the field of view to the world. As a result of the damage caused by ice jam flooding almost the entire city was flooded and destroyed much of the building. After the flood, the city was rebuilt.
Note: Census data (1939 rounded)
Culture and sights
The city has a Historical and Folk Museum.
Economy and infrastructure
In Lensk there is a branch of the diamond company ALROSA establishments of forestry and building materials industry and the food industry.
The city is an important river port on the Lena. From here, a 750- kilometer road leads to the solid Diamanterfördergebieten Westjakutiens over Mirny and Chernyshevsky at the dam of the dam after Wiljui Aichal and Udatschny, with over Mirny is also road access to Yakutsk. One the left bank of Lena downriver following road ends after about 100 kilometers at Njuja.
Lensk has a regional airport ( ICAO code UERL ).