Planches -en- Montagne is a commune in the French department of Jura in the Franche -Comté. It is the capital of the Canton of Les Planches -en- Montagne in the arrondissement of Lons- le -Saunier.
Planches -en- Montagne is located on 723 m above sea level. M., about 13 km south-east of the city Champagnole (air line). The village is located in the Jura, in a valley of the Saine, surrounded by the mountains of the Haute Joux, which fall off different location with striking volcanic rock carved by the Saine out.
The area of 13.48 km ² municipal area includes a portion of the French Jura. The central area is occupied by the valley of Les Planches -en- Montagne. It is traversed from the southeast to the northwest of the Saine, the below the village an impressive rocky gorge Gorge de la Langouette (almost 40 m deep and only about 4 m wide) forms. In the valley, the Bief de la Ruine and two other streams with the Saine combine.
The basin in the south is flanked by the forest heights of Foncine ( 986 m above sea level. M. ) and the Côte du Bayard, which breaks through the Saine in a gorge-like valley, west of Les Epinois ( 876 m above sea level. M. ) and in the north of the Montagne Ronde ( 839 m above sea level. M. ) and the Côte poutin. Between the latter Saine leaves the pelvis of Planches, to then flow into a deep erosion valley of Ain. The combs that belong to the system of Haute Joux, show striking rocky outcrops and cliffs. On a narrow ridge of the Forêt de la Haute Joux northeast of the village is 1061 meters above sea level. M. reached the highest elevation of Planches -en- Montagne. To the north, the municipality's area extends on the plateau of La Perrena.
To Planches -en- Montagne addition to the actual place includes several hamlets, groups of farms and individual farms, including:
- Montliboz ( 685 m above sea level. M. ) in the valley of Les Planches, west of the Saine
- La Perrena ( 839 m above sea level. M. ) on the plateau at the northern foot of the ridge of the Haute Joux
Neighboring municipalities of Les Planches -en- Montagne are Crans and Les Chalesmes in the north, Foncine -le-Haut in the east, Foncine -le- Bas and Fort-du- Plasne in the south and Entre -Deux -Monts, Chaux -des- Crotenay and Syam in the West.
Is first mentioned Planches -en- Montagne in 1282 under the name of Villa de Pontibus. In the Middle Ages the village belonged to the barony of Chateau- Vilain. Together with the Franche -Comté came Planches -en- Montagne with the Peace of Nijmegen in 1678 to France. 1872, the village was pillaged. To a field change occurred in 1973, when that was incorporated previously independent La Perrena to Les Planches -en- Montagne.
The village church of Les Planches -en- Montagne was built in the 17th century and remodeled in the 18th century. At the height southwest of the village are the ruins of the Château de la Folle. Among the natural attractions include Gorges de la Langouette with which the Saine breaks through a resistant limestone layer below the village, and several waterfalls in the Saine and its tributaries.
With 155 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) Les Planches -en- Montagne is one of the small towns in the Jura. Once the population has consistently had in the first half of the 20th century in the range of about 200 people, has been since the beginning of the 1960s recorded by strong migration a significant population decline. It was not until in recent years again a slight increase.
Economy and infrastructure
Planches -en- Montagne has long been a predominantly coined by agriculture, especially livestock and dairy farming, as well as by the forestry village. Thanks to the water power of the Saine could be along the river several mills and forging down. Today, there are some establishments of local small businesses, including a sawmill. Many workers are also commuters who engage in the larger towns in the vicinity of their work.
The village is located off the major thoroughfares on a secondary road that leads from Champagnole after Foncine -le- Bas. Further road links exist with Entre -Deux -Monts, Chaux -des- Crotenay and Bief -des- Maisons.