Løgum Abbey

Daughter monasteries


The monastery Løgumkloster ( German: Kloster Lügum, Locus Dei ) is a former Cistercian monastery in Denmark. It is located in the Office Jutland ( North Slesvig ) in the former municipality Løgumkloster / Løgumkloster (now Tønder / Tønder ).


At the instigation of the bishop of Ribe settled in 1173 Cistercian monks from the monastery Herrevad in Scania ( Sweden today ) down from the filiation of Citeaux in Seem east of Ribe. They moved in 1175 after Løgumkloster where there had previously probably already found a Cluniac monastery. It was the reign of Valdemar (Denmark) and his Chancellor Absalon of Lund, who was also archbishop and is known for several monastic foundations. Among others, he ran the spread of the Cistercian and the Benedictine monastery of Soro walked into a Cistercian abbey. Just before 1200 began the construction of the still existing church, which lasted until around the year 1300, and is considered one of the most impressive religious buildings Nordic. Through donations, the monastery gained considerable property, and was soon after the bishops of Schleswig and Ribe Cathedral Chapter and the Schleswiger the richest spiritual foundation in the Duchy of Schleswig. After the Reformation, which in 1548 brought probably the end of the Convention, was Duke John the Elder of Schleswig -Holstein - Haderslev the monastery as a fief. The monastery church became a parish church. In 1614 the castle was southwest of the monastery built of rubble of the monastic buildings.

Buildings and plant

From the cloistered buildings, only the south adjacent to the transept of the church, built in the third quarter of the 13th century, northern part of the east wing is obtained with the chapter house. The church is a three-nave brick pillar basilica, which is curved in a bound system. It shows the transition from Romanesque to Gothic style. The nave was given only two of the original three well planned square yokes and a Gothic façade with three times parted lancet windows and gable. The cross arms are in the east each two side chapels, most of which were later extended to the inner chancel. The high altar shrine dates back to the church in Jerne. Receive the stairs to the dormitory in southern cross arm.