• SPÖ: 11
  • ÖVP: 7
  • GREEN: 1
  • Civil List Template: Election chart / Maintenance / symbol: 1
  • FPÖ: 1

Lieboch is a market town with 4749 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013 ) in western Styria, 16 kilometers southwest of Graz in the district Graz-Umgebung.

  • 2.1 district Spatenhof
  • 2.2 district Schadendorf
  • 2.3 parish
  • 2.4 Geological history
  • 2.5 Demographics
  • 3.1 Technical Railway Museum Lieboch ( TEML )
  • 3.2 Structures
  • 4.1 traffic
  • 4.2 Media
  • 4.3 Public bodies
  • 4.4 Education
  • 5.1 municipal
  • 5.2 Mayor
  • 5.3 Coat of Arms
  • 5.4 Town twinning


Geographical Location

Lieboch located in the shallower part of the Western Styrian hill country. Through the local area flow three rivers: the Liebochbach, the Lusenbach and Arkenbach. All three lead in the extreme southwest of the township in the Kainach.

Community structure

The municipality comprises the three villages (in brackets population as of 31 October 2011):

  • Lieboch ( 3015 )
  • Schadendorf ( 799 )
  • Spatenhof ( 877)

The municipality comprises the cadastral Lieboch.

Neighboring communities


The area in which today's Lieboch located, belonged to pre-Christian times to the Celtic kingdom of Noricum and from the 1st century AD the Roman province of the same name. During the migration period in the 5th and 6th centuries prevailed - at least nominally - Ostrogoths and Byzantines and Lombards, over the remains of the still resident Christian keltoromanischen population.

After the withdrawal of most of the Lombards in 568 migrated into the now become defenseless country at the latest during the early 7th and 8th century and by Slavs ( Slovenes ) a, which were Christianized in the wake of Salzburg. The place name " Lieboch " could be from this " Slavic period " come and derived possibly from the Slavic word " ljüb " from, which means " sweet" means and could relate to the landscape. The Slavs followed, as they were becoming dependent on the Duchy of Bavaria, in the late 8th and 9th centuries, in turn, larger groups of Bavarians, who settled in the area around Lieboch ( Kainachtal ) - which is recognizable at the newly founded at this time villages with the typical Bavarian ending in " ing" (eg " Zwaring ", " fading", Söding "). Not later than the 12th century, the Slavic population was partly assimilated in and around Lieboch by this Bavarian immigrants or have been " Germanized ".

In the times of the Bavarian colonization of our country (9th - 11th century) the town center appears to have been extended to include other farms (including at today's Packer Street ). This was paralleled in the vicinity of the establishment of new settlements. In this way the present districts Schadendorf and Spatenhof emerged. Also the Kanzlerhof and the so-called Dörfl with the Muehlau probably written not long afterwards.

The first known written mention lovers ox dated to the year 1138. Although this probably is more concerned with the present-day town of St. Bartholomew in Liebochtal as around the present Lieboch, this item is marked a turning point. Lieboch at that time was owned by the archbishops of Salzburg. The farms of the place (at least 26 are in the Middle Ages detectable) came as a fief to various secular landlords. The immediate administration was temporarily well- established in Spatenhof Knights of Parneck.

A greater importance and population attained the place by building the Graz- Köflacher railway in the second half of the 19th century. As the railway lines separate to Köflach ( Köflacherbahn ) and to Wies - Eibiswald ( Wieserbahn ) in Lieboch, the place is a small railway junction. The railway company sold early 20th century land near the route to their employees, so that the settlement was continued.

In the 1930s, the river was Kainach purpose of flood protection regulated or straightened in the territory of the municipality Lieboch. This was accompanied by a loss of most of the then existing riparian forests.

The growing importance lovers Ochs went with the increased settlement of industrial companies associated in the early 1970s as a result of the motorway construction (South Highway ). Since then, the infrastructure (water, sewer, electricity, roads, yard, ... ) has been constantly developed and improved to meet the increased demands of time.

An important milestone in the development of the municipality gave the collection to the market town dar. This was carried out by the provincial government of Styria on 19 February 1979 and was also evident in the leadership of the coat of arms.

District Spatenhof

Spatenhof forms the eastern part of the municipality of Lieboch. The name goes back to a certain Spath or Spaett, who owned half of the settlement around 1414. Previously Spatenhof was known under the name Parneck. The Knights of Parneck are detectable since the 12th century and are likely on their farm ( located at the present station road in the area of the farm vlg. Spathsimi ) have been sitting. From the year of the plague in 1348 particularly affected, previously thriving settlement was wiped out effectively. The new beginning is attributed to the Spath family - a name that is common today.

From the medieval farming village an important settlement developed over the centuries. The most important lordships were Premstätten Hornegg and Lannach. 1785 Spatenhof was part of the tax community Lieboch. By railway, Radlpassstraße and southern motorway Spatenhof is today developed well. The Liebocher commercial and industrial area in Spatenhof.

District Schadendorf

Schadendorf lies in the west of the municipality and has a stand-alone story. First recorded in 1268/69 as Seideynstorf, the name refers to the Bavarian founder probably named Seitti or sitto. The original Gründungshof is vlg at the location of the property. Müller Anderlecht to search. From the medieval five farming estates, the village, which lost its formal independence with the creation of the Josephine control community Lieboch in 1785 developed. At that time, three manors ( division side, Premstätten and Great Söding ) were wealthy in place.

Schadendorf remained even after the establishment of chaplaincy ( parish ) Lieboch the territory of the mother parish churches moss, as well as the school district. Only in the 20th century Schadendorf was oriented in these points after Lieboch. Only the outermost farms have remained to this day in the parish churches moss.


Already in 1714 taught Lawrence Hueber on the Kanzlerhof a first ( private ) chapel. The population tried to break away from the mother parish churches and moss to obtain your own parish, which was still in 1733 refused by the competent bishop.

Only in the wake of Emperor Joseph Parish regulation was approved own chaplaincy for Lieboch by the decree of June 18, 1785. The first church was formed out of a small manor house by a borne by the community redevelopment. The first pastor Emeram Anton Lidl entered his service in 1786. For pastoral area included the present-day municipality, except the district Schadendorf. As was customary, also a parochial school was established, from which developed the current elementary school.

Formal Lieboch but was only on October 4, 1892 an independent parish. The parish boundaries were still to be revised several times in the range of Schadendorf. Since 1958, a large part of Schadendorf has come to the parish Lieboch, only a few farms had then voted to remain with the parish churches moss.

The present parish church ( parish patron: Franz Xaver ) was built after prolonged remodeling plans in the years 1966/67, one of the first post-Conciliar churches in the spirit of Vatican II to replace the old dating back to the 1636 building.

Geological History

In Liebochgraben and its surroundings there are a number of small, no longer commercially mineable ore and coal deposits that belong to those of the Graz Paleozoic. They were examined in detail.


Culture and sights

Technical Railway Museum Lieboch ( TEML )

In the former boiler house of the station Lieboch the Technical Railway Museum Lieboch was opened on 4 September 2004 after a total renovation. The exhibits on display in railway history and the history of the Graz- Köflacher web are shown. The largest exhibit is a steam locomotive GKB, GKB 56.3115, which is the middle of the exhibition space that can be used for events, positioned behind.


The new church building dates from 1965 and was taken controversially in the population.

Economy and infrastructure


The market town region has a very well connected. The municipality is the junction Lieboch ( 194) of South motorway (A2). The Packer Road ( B 70) from Graz to Klagenfurt and the Radlpass Straße (B 76) of Lieboch to Germany Berg also run through the municipality.

In Lieboch is a Graz-Köflacher railway station. In the village the route to and from Germany Koeflach mountain and meadow - Eibiswald shares. In both directions, and to Graz are hourly train connections. In addition, There are regular bus connections to Graz.

Graz Airport is approximately 12 kilometers away.


  • Liebocher News ( ambitious community newsletter ), ZDB - ID 2606362-1

Public institutions

In the village is a police inspection of the Federal Police, belonging to the district police command Graz-Umgebung established.


The market town of Lieboch has a children's garden with a nursery, a primary school and a music school. In the event hall and community college courses.


Parish council

The council consists of 21 members and has been committed to the local council election 2010 mandates the following parties together:


Mayor Rudolf Aichbauer ( SPÖ). First deputy mayor is Gernot Feiel ( SPÖ) and 2nd Vice Mayor Stefan Helmreich (ÖVP ).

Coat of arms

The award of the municipality coat of arms with effect from 1 October 1978.

The coat of arms of Lieboch, which was designed on the occasion of the survey a market town in 1979, is in the middle of a golden crayfish (as they were formerly fished for human consumption from the Kainach ) on a red background, carrying a cross in his tongs. Links below is a mill wheel to see right below a spade (red on gold, represents the district Muehlau ), ( ebenf. red on gold, represents the district Spatenhof ).


  • Ilok Croatia (Croatia )


The Graz- Köflacher railroad has designated in 1864 a tank locomotive series EWA IIId by Lieboch.