The local railway Aktien-Gesellschaft, abbreviated LAG, was a Munich-based private company whose purpose was the construction and operation of local and secondary railways in Germany and Austria. It existed from 1887 until 1938.
The company was founded by the locomotive factory Krauss & Co. and the " local railway construction and operating company Lechner & Krüzner " on February 9, 1887. Theodore Lechner, formerly itself Engineer at Krauss & Co., was director of the new company. Krauss brought here, built 1879/80 and narrow- Feldabahn in Saxony -Weimar in the new society, but this has only been integrated on 1 January 1891 in the LAG (takeover of management ).
The LAG has rapidly developed into a major transportation companies. Alone from 1889 to 1891 grew by 430 routes operating kilometers. However, there was no coherent network. The lines were built where a corresponding volume of traffic could be expected by tourism, mineral resources, industry or agriculture and forestry. The LAG had no preference for a particular system, there was steam and electric operation, standard gauge and narrow gauge and Planum own or shared use of roads. The activities were supplemented at least temporarily, with a cog railway ( Schafbergbahn ), the steam boat ride on Lake Wolfgang and horses and cars operation.
Highly advanced, the LAG showed in the introduction of electric train operation: The Württemberg railway Meckenbeuren - Tettnang was the first electrically operated full track in Germany ( in their planning and Others Oskar von Miller participated ) on the purchased Ammergaubahn Murnau- Oberammergau she straightened the first single-phase AC operation in Germany, whose Stronmversorgung they conformed the hydroelectric plant Kammerl.
In addition to its own routes in southern Germany, the company owned the majority of the shares on the Lusatian Railway Company and investments in the Salzkammergut Local Railway Company and the Central Bank for railway values . The latter had, particularly on the West Hungarian local railway -AG, influence on many railway lines in Hungary with a total length of over 700 kilometers, which had been built by the LAG.
During the First World War and in the years after the company had to contend with great difficulties. In particular, the loss of the Hungarian stretch the balance sheets loaded heavy. After overcoming the inflation it was indeed up again, but then brought the world economic crisis and the increasing competition from cars lines the company in the early 1930s. On the brink of bankruptcy
With loans from the German State Railroad Company, a capital reduction and waivers of the states of Bavaria and Württemberg, although a renovation in 1934 was again reached, but she pushed the end, only. With effect from August 1, 1938, the entire property was transferred to the German Reich due to a Reich law.
Railway lines in Germany
Standard gauge railways
- Sonthofen Oberstdorf, 13.38 km long, steam operation.
Into operation: July 29, 1888. In Sonthofen common terminus with the Bavarian State Railways. The LAG took over from the State Railways and the management on their route Sonthofen Immenstadt at the Allgäu Railway.
- Market Oberdorf- feet, 30.6 km long, steam operation.
Operating Recording: June 1, 1889 On May 18, 1889, the corpse of the Queen Mother Marie of Bavaria was already transported by rail..
- Murnau to Garmisch -Partenkirchen, 25.7 km long, steam operation. Into operation 21 Juli 1889.
On January 1, 1908, the Bavarian State Railways took over the route as part of the later railway line from Munich to Garmisch -Partenkirchen.
- Rangaubahn ( Fürth- Fuerth - Cadolzburg ), 13 km long, steam operation.
Operating Recording: Fürth- Fuerth on November 30, 1890, to Cadolzburg on 14 October 1892.
- Lusatian Railway Company, 80.9 km long, steam operation.
The train was in Lower Lusatia ( Brandenburg and Lower Silesia, now Poland ), today it is shut down. Into operation: Hans Village Priebus, 22.9 kilometers on 1 October 1895. Rauscha - Freiwaldau, 8.4 km on 1 December 1896. Teuplitz -Sommerfeld, 19.6 km on 1 October 1897. Muskau Teuplitz, 23.1 km on June 15, 1898 Priebus Lichtenberg, 6.9 km on October 1, 1913
- Isartalbahn (Munich - Schaeftlarn - Söll), 50.5 km long, steam operation.
Operating recording: Munich Isartalbahnhof -Thal churches, 2.1 km on 10 April 1892 ( G), on 1 June 1892 ( P) Munich -Thal Church Schaeftlarn, 16 km long on June 10, 1891 Schaeftlarn -Wolfratshausen, 7.9 km long on July 27th, 1891 Wolfratshausen Beuerberg, 10.9 km long on August 15th, 1897 Beuerberg - mountain, this 13.5 km long on May 23, 1898 From 1900 on electrical equipment (600 V DC) between Munich and Höllriegelskreuth - Grünwald. Since 1959 sections have been shut down. The rest is now part of the Munich S -Bahn network.
- Lokalbahn Türk Home Wörishofen, 5.2 km long, 550 V electrical service =.
Into operation: August 15. 1896. Built by local Bahn AG, Bad Wörishofen. Bought On November 12, 1905, including two motor coaches and work of LAG and operated.
- Lokalbahn Bad Aibling filing Bach, 12 km long, 550 V electrical service =.
Into operation: May 28, 1897. The local railway Bad Aibling filing Bach was built by the " Actiengesellschaft Elektricitätswerke ", Dresden, the Süddeutsche Electrical Lokalbahnen Aktiengesellschaft ( SEL) founded in 1899 as the operating company. After the bankruptcy of the SEL in 1901, the Bavarian State Railways led at times by the operation. Acquisition of vehicles and the power plant and operation by LAG on January 1, 1904. 1959 converted to 15 kV AC and closed in 1973.
- Lokalbahn Murnau- Oberammergau, 23.7 km long, Electrical operation.
Into operation May 1, 1900 from November 1898 test drives. The proposed three-phase operation could not be realized. Built by Messrs. O. L. Kummer & Cie. , Dresden. After the bankruptcy, the Bavarian State Railway took over temporarily the operation to the local railway AG on November 19, 1903 was owner and operation initially further led to steam locomotives. As of January 1, 1905 electric operation with 5.5 kV 16 Hz AC.
- Lokalbahn Meckenbeuren - Tettnang, 4.3 km long, 650 V electrical service =.
Operating Recording: December 4, 1895 with 2 railcars. Until 1926, its own power plant. As of February 1, 1962 Schienenbusbetrieb. Decommissioning: May 30, 1976.
- Railway Niederbiegen - Baienfurt -Weingarten, 4.04 km long, inception date of September 13, 1911
- Rail freight Baienfurt 0.85 km long, inception date of September 13, 1911
Narrow Gauge Railways
- Feldabahn ( Saxe-Weimar ), track width 1000 mm, 44 km long, steam operation
Operating Recording: Salzungen - Dorndorf - Stadtlengsfeld, 19.7 km long, June 1, 1879 ( freight), June 22, 1879 (passenger ). Dorndorf - Vacha, 5 km long, August 10, 1879. Stadtlengsfeld - Dermbach, 8.8 km long, 6 October, 1879. Dermbach - Kaltennordheim, 10.6 km long, June 24, 1880 ( freight), July 1, 1880 ( passenger ). The train was taken on May 20, 1902 by the Prussian state railways and taken over by Salzungen Dorndorf by Vacha on July 7, 1906 in standard gauge in operation.
- Tram Ravensburg- Weingarten- Baienfurt
Start-up of narrow gauge part ( 1.000 mm ): Ravensburg -Weingarten, 4.1 km long, January 6, 1888 ( P), July 15, 1888 ( G). Extension to Baienfurt on September 13, 1911 by 2.5 km. Initially steam operation, from September 1, 1910 electrical equipment 700 V =. Decommissioning of the narrow gauge operation in two stages on 22 February 1959 ( Ravensburg -Weingarten ) and on 30 June 1959 ( Weingarten Baienfurt ). Start-up of the control track part with freight: Lower Turn - Baienfurt -Weingarten on October 1, 1911, of which 0.9 km three-rail tram. Steam operation.
- Walhalla railway, track width 1000 mm, 23.4 km long, steam operation.
Operating Recording: Stadtamhof / Regensburg - Donaustauf, 8.7 km long, June 23, 1889 (P), May 1 1892 ( G). Donaustauf-Wörth/Donau, 14.7 km long, May 1, 1903. Starting in 1911/12 dolly traffic. From 1955 operation by diesel locomotives. Setting of the passenger traffic on 1 October 1960. Overall decommissioning December 31, 1968.
Into operation on 8 May 1893 factory connections in the urban area Forst ( Lausitz).
Locomotives and cars
The LAG received from the locomotive factory Krauss & Co. 84 tank locomotives, of which 1938 were still 53 machines for the Deutsche Reichsbahn. The standard gauge machines were predominantly classified in the DR series 98. In addition, 5 electric locomotives and 14 railcars of standard gauge and narrow-gauge railcar 6 went to the DR
On passenger cars changed 133 standard gauge wagons and 34 narrow- gauge wagons for DR vans and wagons are specified in the standard gauge 228 and the narrow-gauge with 40. In addition, the Reichsbahn was still 74 dollies.
The tender Locomotive feet is obtained operational from 1889.