London Passenger Transport Board
The London Passenger Transport Board ( LPTB ) was a public transport authority that was responsible for public transport in and around London from 1933 to 1948. Previously there had been no overall coordination of different transport modes. Like all his successors to 2000, joined the LPTB under the brand name of London Transport in appearance.
Origin and composition
The LPTB was formed on July 1, 1933 owing to the adoption by the British Parliament on April 13, 1933 Law London Passenger Transport Act 1933, which had been proposed in 1931 by Transport Minister Herbert Stanley Morrison.
The Board of Directors of the LPTB consisted of seven members. These were jointly appointed by five " appointing trustees ". According to this law were
- The chairman of the London County Council ( LCC)
- A representative of the London Transport Council ( a committee, subordinate to the Ministry of Transport )
- The chairman of the committee of the London clearing banks
- The President of the Law Society ( Bar Association of England and Wales)
- The President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (Association of officially licensed accountants in England and Wales )
The catchment area of the LPTB, called the London Passenger Transport Area, had about a radius of 30 miles ( 48 km) around Charing Cross. It thus went beyond the boundaries of that area, which was later officially became Greater London; Baldock to the north, Brentwood to the east, Horsham in the south and High Wycombe to the west.
This area is characterized in the adjacent map with a continuous red line. Within the Special Area ( dashed black line ) had the LPTB a monopoly on public transport without the permission of the LPTB other players were not admitted. For comparison, the former catchment area of the Metropolitan Police Service is shown in blue, the County of London appears as a gray area. Bus routes on roads that allowed traffic outside its catchment area of the LPTB are registered as dotted red lines.
In LPTB leavened transport companies
By law, the following transport companies went on in the LPTB:
- Underground Electric Railways Company of London, holding consisting of London Electric Railway, an operating company of: Baker Street and Waterloo Railway
- Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway
- Hampstead & Highgate Line
- Great Northern and City Railway
- Private companies London United Tramways (46,7 km )
- Metropolitan Electric Tramways ( 86.1 km )
- South Metropolitan Electric Tramways ( 21.0 km )
- London County Council Tramways ( 269.0 km )
- Middlesex County Council ( 68.6 km )
- Hertfordshire County Council (34,6 km; to the Metropolitan Electric Tramways leased )
- City of London ( 0.4 km; operated by the London County Council )
- Bexley and Dartford Urban District Councils (16,6 km; joint operation since 1921 )
- Croydon Corporation Tramways ( 14.9 km )
- Erith Urban District Council Tramways (6.4 miles)
- Ilford Urban District Council Tramways (11,5 km )
- Leyton Corporation Tramways (14,5 km; operation by the London County Council since 1921 )
- Walthamstow Urban District Council Light Railways ( 14.4 km )
- London General Omnibus Company ( LGOC )
- London General Country Services
- Tilling & British Automobile Traction
- Green Line Coaches
The LPTB possessed the power on to meet with the railway companies agreements suburban services in its catchment area. All buses, trolleybuses, tram cars and subway cars in the central area were given a single red paint which was characteristic for London later. Buses in the rural outdoor areas and those on express bus from there into central London were given a green paint, the latter reversed under the name Green Line.
In 1935 to 1940, the LPTB took an extensive investment program called New Works Programme, which provided for the extension of lines and the modernization of the existing network. These included extensions of the Central Line, Bakerloo Line, Northern Line and Metropolitan Line, new trains and depots, extensive remodeling central underground stations and the replacement of the tram network by trolley-buses, but lasted through the effects of the war until 1952. The LPTB also developed the corporate identity of the former Underground Group with the brand name of London Transport on. The LPTB was replaced on 1 January 1948 by the London Transport Executive, but existed as a legal entity until December 23, 1949 on.