Long Island Motor Parkway
The Long Iceland Motor Parkway (LIMP ), also known as the Vanderbilt Parkway, was built from 1908 private road connection in the State of New York, which was reserved as a toll road to the automotive market and also served as a racetrack. Your crossing-free design and the use of shared carriageways make it a forerunner of the highways. It was taken over and closed down in 1938 by New York State.
Original financier of William Kissam Vanderbilt II track was, the great-grandson of Cornelius Vanderbilt, an enthusiastic organizer of auto racing. After several serious accidents Vanderbilt decided to build a just for car traffic and its founded in 1904 Vanderbilt Cup appropriate road and established a corresponding society. The Long Iceland Motor Parkway, with its concrete roadway, its bridges and subways, rails and its 14 toll stations took a worldwide pioneer role.
The toll road should initially be 70 miles (110 km) long and from New York City to Riverhead, Suffolk County, rich. There were eventually built but just 45 miles (of Queens in New York City to Lake Ronkonkoma ). Construction began in June 1908 and a first section was opened in October 1908. As of 1911, the road to the Lake Ronkonkoma.
In the late 1920s, the Parkway was because of its relatively narrow lanes and steep bridges already obsolete. Robert Moses, the New York city and traffic planners continued in 1938 through its acquisition and closure. Parts of the Parkway in Queens still exist as a bike path from Cunningham Park to Alley Pond Park.
Automobile race for the Vanderbilt Cup took place in 1908, 1909 and 1910, a renewed serious accident with four dead spectators but in 1910 led to the prohibition of street racing in New York State.
Six of the toll booths were designed by renowned architect John Russell Pope.