The French town of Lons -le- Saunier, with 17,496 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) the chief town of the department of Jura. It is located about halfway between the north Dole and Bourg -en- Bresse in the south. The city is drained by the river Vallière; However, it is largely underground, to reduce the risk of flooding.


The Romans used the thermal springs of Lons -le- Saunier. The city was then called Ledo salinarius ( Salt City ).


  • The city has with the Saint -Désiré also one of the oldest crypts of the Jura. It dates from the 11th century.
  • The city museum houses exhibits on local history, paintings and sculptures.


Lons -le- Saunier is home to the famous processed cheese " La vache qui rit " ( The Laughing Cow ) Further, in the area since the Middle Ages viticulture; . Place belongs to the Jura wine region.


Offenburg in Baden- Württemberg is sister city of Lons -le- Saunier.

Sons and daughters of the town

  • Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle (1760-1836), composer, poet and officer, wrote in April 1792 in Strasbourg, the Marseillaise
  • Louis Vuitton (1821-1892), trunk maker and entrepreneur
  • Maurice Joly (1829-1878), lawyer and writer
  • Auguste Bailly (1878-1967), author, historian and linguist
  • René Remond (1918-2007), historian and political scientist
  • Bernard Clavel (1923-2010), writer
  • Michel Jouvet ( born 1925 ), a neuroscientist and dream researchers
  • Jean -François Stévenin (* 1944), actor, screenwriter and film director