Lossiemouth ( Scottish Gaelic: Inbhir Losaidh ) is a city on the coast in the district of Moray in Scotland with a population of 6873 ( 3476 male, 3397 female, as of 2010).
At the time of founding Lossiemouth was still a separate village, now it is also managed by the City Elgin. In 1685, the German engineer Peter Brauss received from the town of Elgin Council commissioned to create a North Sea port at the mouth of the River Lossie. The city of Elgin is located six kilometers inland and ordered at this time about a lowly trade. The first efforts in the beginning of the 18th century failed due to limited financial resources, which were Brauss available. In the second attempt, a new pier for £ 1,200 was built in 1764. At that time, built around the port facility a new district with parallel streets in right angle configuration. An open houses square with a cross on the green area separated the first settlement of the new. The fishermen occupied the houses in the low-lying seaside city and the builders, artisans and merchants, the new Lossiemouth. Later, a drainage channel from the hole Spynie to the river Lossie was built, which was a physical barrier between the two settlements. In 1844, the 36 meter high Covesea Lighthouse, the lighthouse west of Lossiemouth, by Alan Stevenson was built.
Since Lossiemouth located on the coast, the city has its own harbor and the main source of income is fishing. Of economic importance are the nearby airbase of the Royal Air Force and tourism. Lossiemouth has both a folk and Golf Club, as well as a sailing club.
RAF Lossiemouth is a station of the Royal Air Force (RAF ) west of Lossiemouth. The military airfield is one of the largest in the RAF and at the moment a main base of the Tornado GR4 fleet and some Seerettungshubschraubern.
A large part of the surface of Lossiemouth consists of a fine-grained, light yellow-brown sandstone, the Lossiemouth - Sandstone formation. This was deposited 225 million years ago in the Carnian ( Upper Triassic ). The sandstones show typical characteristics of dune sediments, so one assumes that they did not occur in the water, but were deposited by the wind. In the sandstone fossils were eight reptiles species found. Most common are the Rhynchosaurier Hyperodapedon and Aetosaurier Stagonolepis. Both were medium-sized herbivores and were probably hunted by carnivorous archosaurs Ornithosuchus, the largest carnivores of the Lossiemouth fauna. The smaller archosaurs as Erpetosuchus and Saltopus probably hunted small reptiles such as the Procolophoniden Leptopleuron, the Sphenodontier Brachyrhinodon and Scleromochlus, a archosaurs, which is considered a close relative of the pterosaurs. The last three forms were only 15 to 20 cm long and made from 5 to 25 % of the fauna.
- Hersbruck since 1972
- James Ramsay MacDonald (1866-1937), British politician and twice Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- Stewart Imlach (1932-2001), Scottish football player and coach