Luigi Rusca

Luigi Rusca ( born September 3, 1762 Agno, † 1822 in Valence ) was a classical architect from Ticino, but worked primarily in Saint Petersburg and in other Russian cities.

After his studies in Turin in 1783 Rusca moved to Russia, where his father Giovanni Battista had worked. He worked at the court of Catherine II and whose throne successor. In 1802 he was appointed court architect. In addition to its main task, the design of interior spaces, he planned among other residential buildings, barracks, churches and mosques. In 1815 he was awarded an honorary membership of the St. Petersburg Academy. In 1818 he left Russia and moved to France.

Works (selection)

  • Rusca portico on Nevsky Prospekt ( 1805-1806 ). This construction was canceled during construction of the Metro in 1962 and rebuilt in 1972 after the original plans
  • Gothic tent roof at Nicholas Tower of the Moscow Kremlin (1806 )
  • Reconstruction Bell Tower Ivan the Great in the Kremlin after 1812


  • Barracks of the Grenadiers (1803-1807)
  • Barracks of the Cavalry Guard (1803-1806)
  • Barracks of the Izmailovsky Regiment (1809-1812)


  • Expansion of the Kazan Bridge ( 1805)

Interior Finishing


  • Church of all victims (1817-1818)