Lunenburg (Nova Scotia)

Lunenburg is a small port town in Lunenburg County, approximately 90 miles from Halifax, capital of Nova Scotia, removed. Lunenburg is Canada's oldest German settlement with a long seafaring and shipbuilding tradition. The town of Lunenburg with its distinctive wooden architecture - colorful idyllic houses and old captain's houses - part since 1995 a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

  • 6.1 Non-fiction
  • 6.2 novels

Location and Geography

Lunenburg is located at the entrance of a peninsula west of Mahone Bay. Lunenburg itself lies at the Lunenburg Bay. The height varies from 0 to 12 meters above the sea level.


Lunenburg was founded in 1753 by the so-called Foreign Protestants, mostly from Germany (Pfalz and Württemberg), Switzerland and the Protestant France ( Principality of Montbeliard ) came. They were brought by Lord Cornwallis to Canada, promising them freedom of religion and funded the crossing.

The city's name Lunenburg honoring King George II of Great Britain, who was also Elector of Brunswick- Lüneburg ( Hanover) and nominally Duke of Brunswick and Lüneburg.

Lunenburg is known for its shipyards and the home port of the Bluenose and Bluenose II, the construction of the HMCS Rose ( the largest wooden ship in the world, which is still in operation) and the HMCS Bounty for the film Mutiny on the Bounty.


Culture and sights

Lunenburg's historic center is characterized by historic wooden structures, which are mainly held in bright and bold colors.

The Lunenburg Opera House was built in the years 1907/1908, following the example of European opera houses. In the 1940s it was converted into a cinema and renamed the Capitol Theatre. In the 1990s and 2000s the house was mostly empty. It was completely restored in 2006.

At the port of Lunenburg, with its striking red wooden houses is the Maritime Museum Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic. In the harbor, the famous schooner Bluenose II, which serves as a tourist attraction for cruises in the Atlantic Ocean.

The Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church is a held in the Victorian Gothic style church, whose foundation stone was laid in 1890 and consecrated in July 1891. The first church of the Lutherans was already built in 1772. From this church just a key and a bell are preserved. This was followed by construction at a new location in 1841, a building in the Gothic style. The present church, making it the third church.

The St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in the 111 Townsend Street dates back to the first Presbyterian Church in Canada. The first church dates from the year 1770. 1879 it was enlarged to a length of 25.3 meters and a width of 12.2 meters. The new spire was raised to 36 meters. The previous square window and other parts of the church were replaced by new ones in the Gothic Revival style. In 1909 the interior was renovated and the east side of the church.

The first school Lunenburg from 1864 stood on the site of today's old fire hall. On September 23, 1893 the first school house was destroyed by fire. The second school, called Lunenburg Academy, was built in the years 1894-1895 on the Gallows Hill and is widely visible. The opening took place on 7 November 1895. The striking three-story red - white school building wooden An architectural masterpiece. The former educational institution of the County now serves as a municipal school. 1995 tribute to the Canada Post building by issuing a postage stamp.

The Anglican Church of St. John was an important symbol of British rule and the Anglican Church in Canada. 1754 in the classical style, the church was altered by many additions and rebuilt in the Gothic style. Today the church is a remarkable example of the " Gothic Carpenter - style" that has traditionally been here but interpreted in stone, in wood. The St. John 's Church was burned down on 1 November 2001 and was built with the help of worldwide donations again. The inauguration took place on 12 June 2005.

Economy and infrastructure


Until the late 18th century Lunenburg supplied the city of Halifax in agricultural products. Previously Lunenburg was also a center of the North Atlantic fisheries. Since the fish stocks have declined rapidly through the introduction of more efficient fishing methods, the main source of income is in addition to the shipbuilding today is tourism. In Lunenburg is Canada's largest fish processing company, the liner of the company High Foods Inc. is operated.


The village is situated about 10 km south-east of Highway 103, which connects Halifax with Bridgewater and the southern part of Nova Scotia. The roads leading from the highway 324 and 3 to Lunenburg.