Lyceum Theatre (London)
The theater was built in 1765 by James Payne for the Society of Artists. Dr. Samuel Arnold made it in 1794 for a concert and exhibition hall. Among other things, the first exhibition of Madame Tussauds waxworks was here in 1802 instead.
In 1805 there were two theaters, which were also recorded. 1809 took over Samuel Arnold's son Samuel Arnold jun. the theater and received approval to operate it in the summer as an opera house. After the fire of Drury Lane Theatres played his ensemble from 1809 to 1812 at the Lyceum Theatre.
1792 referred to the program notes as " Theatrical Saloon ," 1810 will see the word " Theatre Royal " the first time. They played mainly Ballad operas, musicals and melodramas.
1818 was rebuilt. As of August 1817, the Lyceum Theatre London theater used as the first gas lighting for the stage. 1830, the house burned down, in 1834 it was reopened. In the following years played here, among others, the team of Madame Vestris, Kate Bateman and Ellen Terry.
From 1878 to 1902 led Henry Irving, the leading British actors of his time, the theater, Bram Stoker ( best known as the author of the novel Dracula ) was the managing director. After that, it was torn down due to high remediation costs and 1904 newly built. It now served first as a music hall, and 1907 Smith and Carpenter took over the theater and successfully staged plays of William Shakespeare.
From 1909 to 1938, the brothers Melville led the Lyceum Theatre. The last performances took place until July 1, 1939 by June 28. Hamlet was listed with John Gielgud in the title role.
After the war the building was used as a dance hall and later closed. 1994 was rebuilt, and in 1996 there was a re-opening as a musical venue.
Since 19 October 1999, the musical The Lion King is listed.