Lytton (British Columbia)
Lytton is a village in British Columbia. It lies at the confluence of the Fraser River and Thompson River on the Trans -Canada Highway. In the 19th century, was located on site of the present town, a village of the First Nations, the Camchin, which means put on ( the river), was called. In the mid-19th century it was the site of a short-lived trading post of the Hudson's Bay Company named Fort Dallas. In the course of the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush in 1858, the present settlement was founded and named after the English Colonial Secretary Edward Bulwer -Lytton.
The place is now a center for white water rafting in inflatable rafts and kayaks and describes himself as " Rafting Capital of Canada ".
At the opposite west bank of the Fraser River that is accessible by a ferry, are the preserve of the Lytton First Nation and the Stone Valley Nlaka'pamux Heritage Park, eight kilometers east lies on the Trans - Canada Highway to the Skihist Provincial Park. South of Lytton the lines of the Canadian Pacific Railway and Canadian National Railway switch each have their side along the Fraser River.
The census in 2011 showed a population of 228 inhabitants of the small settlement. The population has decreased while compared to the census of 2006 at 3%, while the population in British Columbia grew simultaneously by 7%.