Maracay on the map of Aragua
Maracay [ ma.ɾakai̯ ] is the capital of the Venezuelan state of Aragua and located on the eastern shore of Lake Valencia.
Maracay until the 20th century, especially important for the indigo cultivation and trade. During the dictatorship of Juan Vicente Gómez, the city grew rapidly and it caused, inter alia, a zoo, a bullring and an opera house. Gómez ' Mausoleum is also located in Maracay.
But the city is further characterized by its museums, such as the Aircraft Museum Aeronautical Museum, Coronel Luis Hernán Paredes, as episcopal see, and for their military facilities. In Venezuela, Maracay is known as Ciudad Jardín, ie as a garden city.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Santos Michelena (1797-1848), politician
- Carlos Alfonso Guillen ( born 1975 ), baseball player
- Alicia Machado (born 1976 ), Miss Universe 1996
- Juan Arango ( born 1980 ), football player
- Miguel Cabrera (* 1983), Baseball Player
- Pastor Maldonado ( born 1985 ), race car driver
- Bruno Palli (* 1991), race car driver
- San José, Costa Rica ( 1980)
- Salta, Argentina ( 1988)
- Medellín, Colombia
- Santiago de Cuba, Cuba (2007)
- Izhevsk, Russia ( 2007)
- Colonia Tovar, Venezuela
- St.Johns ' s ( San Juan de Terra Nova ), Canada ( 2008)
- Salvador de Bahia, Brazil ( 2009)