Auken studied Protestant theology at the University of Copenhagen and worked as a pastor. She was a member of the Danish parliament Folketing October 1979 to December 1990 and September 1994 until June 2004.
In 2004, she moved as the only candidate of the SF in the European Parliament. First, without the consent of her party, she was a member of the Green Party to join instead of the Group of the European Left.
Derzeite post as MEP
- Member of the Development Committee
- A member of the Committee on Petitions
- Member of the Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety
- A member of the Delegation for relations with the Palestinian Legislative Council
- Alternate member of the Committee on Transport and Tourism
- Substitute in the Delegation for relations with Israel