Maria Enzersdorf

Maria Grossenzersdorf is a market town with 8647 inhabitants ( 1 January 2013 ) to the spa line in the Lower Austrian industrial area.

By 1999, the municipality of Maria Grossenzersdorf said on mountains.


Maria Grossenzersdorf consists of the Altort, so the grown Maria Grossenzersdorf, and the southern city. During the Altort located in the western part of the municipality on the slope of the Vienna Woods, the south town was laid out east of it in the flat part of the Vienna Basin.

The southern part was designed as a planned residential and business area as the "Garden City". The of the Lower Austrian companies NEWAG and NIOGAS (today EVN) commissioned architect Wilhelm Hubatsch, Franz Kiener and Gustav Peichl were for the planning of the new administrative center of the above Companies as well as the connected thereto residential and business area responsible. The first sod was turned on 12 September 1960.


Its history is closely connected with the wine. After excavation finds are likely to already have settled here, the Celts and the Romans.

The first mentioned is the place in 1130, as an angel Schalkendorf in Klosterneuburg. It is the time when the castle was built in Liechtenstein. 1454 the Franciscan monastery was built. In the wake of the Turkish wars, the town was destroyed several times. The Franciscans had to leave the monastery during the Reformation, but came back again, and Maria Grossenzersdorf was re-Catholicised.

The history of the 19th century is very strongly associated with Johann I of Liechtenstein, who bought the castle back again Liechtenstein and the forests aufforstete around the place again.

End of the 19th century was a second monastery, the Mission House St. Gabriel the Divine Word Missionaries. This monastery, it is also due to that the local environment - despite the enormous Baudrucks throughout the community - still some part includes feral green areas, such as dry grass, with its high ecological significance.

From 1938 to 1954 Maria Grossenzersdorf belonged to Greater Vienna (24th district).

In 1964, a third monastery, the Poor Clare Monastery, built.

The largest expansion was told the place than the southern part, which is designed as a garden city in 1961 under the former NEWAG - General and Deputy Governor Viktor Muellner started ( the groundbreaking ceremony took place on September 12, 1960) and was completed in the 70s. The construction of the Southtown also the population doubled in ten years (1961: 3825 E, 1971: 8,120 E). At the same time the headquarters of the EVN today was built in the southern city. The Federal Sports Centre South City was settled here in the course of building the southern city.

On 19 October 2004, decided the old town hall, which is too small and has safety deficiencies, to sell and to build a new village hall on a property acquired in 2000. The present there Kielmannsegg Schlössl is extended with a modern annex. The new address of the municipal administration is since August 6, 2007 Main Street 37 The building was heavily criticized, among others by the nonpartisan assets due to high, constantly rising costs and oversized size. The ÖVP held countered that these cost increases were due precisely to the years of delay that had caused the assets.

The new town hall was officially opened on 6 October 2007 in the presence of the Lower Austrian Provincial Governor Erwin Pröll.

In the western and highest part of the town (on the border of the municipality Gießhübl ) are located in the underground gypsum blocks, where it was mined until 1880 plaster. This mine was abandoned without any safety measure. In the 1990s there were isolated cases of cuts on the surface that could of caused by Subrosion natural cavities, but also from former studs as they are also seen in the adjacent lake grotto still arise. There were therefore carried out on 70 exploratory wells in 2004 and 2005, where you could identify old tools through video images from the deep in a tunnel. The studs extend into the neighboring community Gießhübl. There, the original entry into the mine is located. Since the area was rezoned in the 1970s to urban land, there are today residential buildings, some of which already have defects which could be due to the earlier mining. However, since in this region in the interwar period was also a landfill, damage may result from insufficient soil compaction. The cost of exploratory drilling, the municipality Maria Grossenzersdorf financed. The backup started in early 2007 of the old mine by filling the cavities has been completed by the end of August 2007. To federal, state and community have involved one-third each to the cost (estimated 3 million euros ) for the remediation.


Source: Population Development of Statistics Austria


  • Parish and Pilgrimage Church of Maria, Health of the Sick
  • Franciscan Maria Grossenzersdorf
  • Liechtenstein Castle 1136 first mentioned; built on a rocky ridge 300 m above sea level. Former headquarters of the Prince of Liechtenstein
  • Liechtenstein Castle
  • Mission St. Gabriel
  • Hunyadi Castle: late baroque castle
  • Nature Park Föhrenberge
  • Cultural landscape smoke Kogel

Regular events

  • Holy Mass in the parish and pilgrimage church of Maria Grossenzersdorf, Hauptstrasse 5, 2344 Maria Grossenzersdorf. Mon-Sat: 09.09 clock, Sundays and holidays. 09:30, 11:00 to 19:00 clock
  • New Year's Concert with the Ensemble Koncz: Since 1995, takes place every year - mostly at Epiphany and on the last Sunday of the Christmas holidays - a New Year's Concert with the Koncz ensemble instead.
  • Nestroy Plays: Under the direction of Elfriede Ott place every year in summer theater performances as part of the theater festival Lower Austria, the so-called Nestroy games at the Castle Liechtenstein - in the courtyard, and since 2007 on the exterior of the castle - instead (see links).
  • Portiunculamarkt: On August 2, takes place every year the traditional Portiunculamarkt in the Church Street and Franz- germ alley.


  • Boys Choir of the Vienna Woods home of the Choir School of the Boys Choir of the Vienna Woods
  • Chorvereinigung Maria Grossenzersdorf
  • Youth brass Maria Grossenzersdorf
  • EVN Collection ( Art Collection )


Known is the National Sports Centre with the designated formerly as federal Stadium Southtown Trenkwalder Arena, home of the football club VfB Admira Wacker Mödling who plays in the highest Austrian football league, the Bundesliga. Maria Grossenzersdorf is also the home of nationally and internationally successful women's handball club Hypo Niederösterreich Austria. Known individual athletes are, for example, Wolfgang Moser, Michael Weiss and Katrin Neudolt.


The mayor is John Zeiner ( since July 1, 2013). Office manager is Martin Mittermayr. Mayor Edeltraud Obner (September 25, 2006 - June 24, 2013 ) has come down from their posts after 7 years and now serves on the committees of the elementary school municipality of Maria Grossenzersdorf, Gießhübel and Brunn am Gebirge.

In the council since the city council election 2010 is the distribution of the 33 mandates: List ÖVP 13, Party Independent Active 11, SPO 3, list Green 5, FPÖ 1 However, in August 2012, two mandatories of the ÖVP emerged (Karin Prokop and Claus Schaller ) and now act as non-attached local councils. Therefore, the ÖVP has only 11 seats and is thus on a par with civil list " partisan ACTIVE " represented on the council.


  • Bergschenhoek Netherlands (Netherlands) 1976 to 2006. Due to the merger of the community Bergschenhoek with surrounding communities, the partnership after 30 years has been terminated because a partnership between just about the same size communities makes sense.


  • Web:
  • Bus:
  • Street:


While the original main occupation of viticulture, as trade and commerce are now relevant. Also a large industrial operation of the global press manufacturer KBA is Maria Grossenzersdorf. In the southern city is the headquarters of the EVN, the energy supply company for Lower Austria (formerly Newag - NIOGAS ). The two mentioned and the dealership Stipschitz (VW - Audi ) are the largest companies in Maria Grossenzersdorf.

The two main centers of commerce, the main street and the shopping center South City have been struggling for years with problems: in particular by the strong competition of only a few kilometers away Shopping City Süd and because of the relatively high rents there in the shopping center Southtown hardly new settlements. In Altort the few businesses have a few parking spaces, an unfriendly atmosphere and the closure of the last supermarket (which has moved to a few hundred yards away, very large plot ) in a difficult position too, here is the proximity of the district capital of Mödling and Shopping City South is a shortcoming. An imaginary as pulse Bringer shopping and medical center at the measurement Inger Course ( development area with many residential buildings ) was never realized.

District heating

Maria Grossenzersdorf is almost entirely in densely built-up area, digested with biogenic district heating, which is generated in the biomass cogeneration plant Mödling. The public buildings such as schools and government buildings as well as the large volume residential are supplied with this district.


  • 3 elementary schools ( Altort, Southtown and private elementary school SME)
  • 1 Gymnasium ( High School Sports )
  • 1 University ( Theological College of St. Gabriel in Mission St. Gabriel )

By the school year 2007/2008 there was also a secondary school in Maria Grossenzersdorf. Due to low number of pupils the school was merged with the main school in Brunn am Gebirge. School site is Brunn am Gebirge. By 2011, to be built on the site of the former high school, a child care center. This means an increase in the primary school and a new school club.