Maria Schrader was born in Hanover in 1965 as the daughter of a painter and a sculptor. She attended the Matthias -Claudius -Gymnasium in Gehrden, a town near Hanover, on which she collaborated for several years in the theater group. At 15, she began her acting career in the theater. There followed in 1983 a drama training at the Max Reinhardt Seminar in Vienna, but they dropped out after two years.
In the season 1982/83 she was part of the ensemble of the Staatstheater Hannover. It was followed by appearances in Vienna, Venice and Bonn. In 1988, she made her film debut in the comedy RobbyKallePaul by Dani Levy, under whose direction she appeared in 11 films and with whom she lived for several years in private.
Your first success as an actress, she celebrated in 1993 with the comedies Burning Life by Peter Welz and Doris Dorries Nobody loves me.
In the Disney movie Atlantis - The Lost Empire she said the role of the Atlantic Princess Kidagakash.
2005 Schrader directed her first in the film version of the bestseller love life of Zeruya Shalev. The film, whose screenplay she wrote with Laila Stieler, arrived in theaters in November 2007.
Maria Schrader has a daughter (* 1998) from the relationship with the director Rainer Kaufmann. She lives in Berlin.
In 1992, Maria Schrader received at the Max Ophüls Award Best Actor Award as best young actress. The Bavarian Film Prize could Schrader 1994 Nobody loves me and accept in 1998 for her role in Aimée & Jaguar.
The German Film Prize Maria Schrader received several occasions, including the Film Award for representational services for Nobody loves me, Burning Life, and one of my oldest friends. The Film Award for Best Actress she received for her role in the film Aimee & Jaguar drama. For precisely this representation Maria Schrader was awarded the Silver Bear at the 1999 Berlin International Film Festival. There she also received the award for the German shooting star of European cinema in the same year.
2010 Schrader received in the category Best interpreter of history of a marriage ( author Andrew Sean Greer, directed by Sabine Buss, Publisher Random House Audio / Cologne) the German Audio Book Prize.
As an actress:
As a voice actress:
- 2001: Atlantis - The Lost Empire
As a director:
- 2007: love life
- Kriemhild in Die Nibelungen, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 ( with, inter alia, Mario Adorf, Manfred Zapatka, Dieter Wedel)
- From 1 December 2007 at the Cologne Theatre plays the role of Véronique houille in God of Carnage by Yasmina Reza.
- Medea in The Golden Fleece at the Cologne Theatre, 2008 ( with Carlo Ljubek, Manfred Zapatka and Patrycia Ziolkowska )
- 2008: The rescuing it from oblivion - A tribute to Richard Yates ( writer ). Live recording with Joachim Król and Roger Willemsen. Random House Audio. ISBN 978-3866049307.
- 2011: All-Inclusive by Doris Dorrie, Diogenes Verlag Zurich, read by Maria Schrader, Maren Kroymann and Petra Zieser unabridged 5 CDs 377 min, ISBN 978-3257803099