- SPÖ: 7
- ÖVP: 7
- FPO: 3
Mary Parish ( Lungau dialect: Pforch ) is a municipality in the district of Lungau in Salzburg, Austria with 2359 inhabitants ( 1 January 2013).
- 2.1 Municipal Council
- 2.2 Coat of Arms
- 2.3 community partnerships
- 3.1 Regular events
- 4.1 Sons and daughters of the town
- 4.2 people with relationship to a place
Mary Parish is one of 15 municipalities of the district Lungau.
The municipality comprises the three villages (in brackets population as of 31 October 2011):
- Mary Parish (1582 )
- Pichl (260 )
- Zankwarn ( 439 )
The municipality comprises the cadastral Mary Parish, Pichl and Zankwarn.
The municipal council of Mary Parish has 17 members and is composed as follows for the local council elections in 2014 together:
- 7 ÖVP
- 7 SPÖ
- 3 FPÖ
Directly elected mayor is Franz Doppler ( SPÖ).
Coat of arms
The coat of arms of the municipality is: "In a red breaking out from the left shield border white eagle catch".
- Matadepera, Catalan municipality in the province of Barcelona, Spain, since 1984
Culture and sights
- Parish and Pilgrimage Museum: the museum has priceless exhibits, a documentary about Joseph Mohr, and a Christmas nativity scene with figures from the 18th century. It is located in the historic premises of the old vicarage.
- Still Carnival Museum in Maria parish: Joseph Mohr worked from 1815 to 1817 as coadjutor in Maria parish and wrote at this time, in 1816, the text of the famous Christmas carol Silent Night, Holy Night.
- The house of Joseph Mohr's father and his ancestors, the " Schargler Chaste ", still stands today as a cultural monument in the district Stranach.
- Silent Night Fountain: 2011 was built the Silent Night Fountain in the parsonage renovation in memory of Joseph Mohr. The Fountain - topped by a bust of Joseph Mohr - was designed by Rev. Bernhard Rohrmoser.
- Church in Althofen
- Suppan Chapel: Another cultural monument is the Suppan Chapel in the district Pichl.
- Castle Lower Rain
- Castle ruins Pichl
- Castle Mary Parish
- Samson: The Samson is a very old custom in the Lungau region, in which a giant figure of Samson, is carried around.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Josef Schlitter, pastors and local historian, author of two volumes of "home Mariapfarr "
- Erwin Resch (* 1961 ), Austrian alpine skier
Persons with respect to the location
- Nicholas Lienbacher (1809-1872), priest reconstruction after major fire
- Joseph Mohr (1792-1848), priest and poet, 1815-1817 coadjutor in Maria parish; 1816 wrote a poem that later the text of the famous Christmas carol Silent Night, Holy Night was