- SPÖ: 12
- ÖVP: 5
- FPÖ: 2
Maria village ( Hung, Máriafalva ) is a market town with 1189 inhabitants ( 1 January 2013 ) in southern Burgenland in Austria.
Nationally known Maria village is built in the 15th century parish church of the Assumption, which also adorns the coat of arms.
The municipality is located in southern Burgenland in the district Oberwart, about 15 km west of the border with Hungary.
The market town of Maria village includes the cadastral municipalities or localities:
- Mine ( 2011: 103 inhabitants),
- Grodnau ( 319)
- Maria Village ( 454)
- Neustift bei Schlaining (157 ) and
- Diving (164).
Diving is located north of the core local Mariasdorf, the other three districts east of him.
The eastern municipality with mine, Grodnau and Neustift belongs to Bernsteiner Mountains, the western places Mariasdorf and diving are in a somewhat flatter, the river Pinka sloping down towards the landscape.
Neighboring municipalities are Oberschützen, Bad Tatzmannsdorf, Stadtschlaining and amber.
The nearest towns are Pinkafeld (8 miles west) and Oberwart (9 km south). The nearest major town is Steinamanger ( Szombathely ) in Hungary, which is located about 30 km east of Maria village. Also Graz (70 km southwest) and Vienna (90 km north ) can be reached in a short time and important goals for commuters from the region.
The place belonged for centuries to Hungary ( German West Hungary) and since 1921 the newly founded State of Burgenland (see also history of Burgenland ).
Maria village was first mentioned in 1388. In a 4 to May D. J. dated document pledged the Hungarian king and later German Emperor Sigismund the rule Bernstein, including their villages named to the brothers Kanizsai.
During the Middle Ages, the area developed into a mining region with iron, copper and pyrite degradation. The ruling family Kanizsai was built for the working miners here the Gothic church preserved to this day, one of the best known medieval buildings of Burgenland.
1849 Maria village was largely destroyed by a major fire.
Around 1870 began diving in the lignite mining, which remained in force until March 31, 1967 and final story was on December 30 of the year.
Between 1899 and 1913 it came through emigration to North America for a significant population loss.
The previously independent municipalities mine, Grodnau, Maria village, Neustift bei Schlaining and diving were pooled within the community structure Improvement Act with effect from 1 January 1971 on the new "church Maria village".
The municipality of Maria village has since May 1, 1988, the right to use the designation " market town ".
Mayor and chief officer is Reinhard Berger of the Social Democratic Party, Deputy Mayor Manfred Karner of the SPÖ. The distribution of seats in the municipal council (19 seats) is SPÖ 12, ÖVP 5, FPÖ 2 mandates.
Coat of arms
Blazon: In red over a coated with a gold mine tunnels green Dreienberg a golden, black gave the church, accompanied by natural poplar trees.
The coat of arms was granted on 16 April 1988.
- Parish Church of the Assumption: The late- Gothic parish church of the Assumption is one of the most beautiful of Burgenland. The building was once the brothers Kanizsay had received the estate Bernstein, begun in 1400 at the site of an existing church, but probably set in the early 15th century. Until then, probably consisted only of the choir room. At the end of the century, work has continued with the construction of the nave. The west portal was completed in 1490. The tabernacle on the north wall bears the date 1483rd Also sacristy, ossuary and the two stair towers probably date from this building phase.
In the 17th and 18th century the church was rebuilt to reflect the then prevailing taste of the Baroque. 1882-99 these conversions were largely reversed under the leadership of Imre Steindl, the architect of the Budapest Parliament and designed the building again in the Gothic idiom. Witness this second, neo-Gothic reconstruction are the high altar, the pulpit, the font and the stained glass windows.
The Church of the Assumption of Mary is now used as a Roman Catholic parish church in the parish association Mariasdorf Amber in the Diocese of Eisenstadt.
Monuments in the municipality of Maria village are:
- The parochial school and prayer house in diving (No. 33)
- The parochial school and prayer house in Grodnau (No. 50)
- The elementary school in Neustift ( No. 27)
- The parochial school and prayer house in the village of Mary (No. 26)
- The bell tower in mine (No. 47)
- The Roman Catholic. Parish Church " Assumption " in Mariasdorf
- Grave stones in the cemetery in the village of Maria.
- Road: The main thoroughfare in the municipality is the Burgenland highway ( B 50 ), which runs through the state from north to south direction and is traced out on the eastern outskirts of Maria village as a bypass road.
- Rail: The nearest railway line is the Pinkatalbahn with breakpoints among other things, in Pinkafeld, Riedlingsdorf and Oberwart that led earlier to the railway node Steinamanger / Szombathely and ends today in Oberwart. The 1997 disused branch line from Oberwart in Maria village neighboring community Oberschützen is currently being reactivated by a private club for nostalgia trips.
The municipality has two elementary schools ( in Maria village and Grodnau ), the above-mentioned Roman Catholic parish church, Protestant communities Branch AB in all places, sports grounds in all places and a biking trail. The nearest high school is located in the neighboring village three kilometers away Oberschützen.
In Mariasdorf there are no street names. Postal addresses are composed of the name of the district and the house number.