Mariental is about 7 kilometers north of the county town of Helmstedt in the Natural Park Elm Lappwald. The municipality is located on the international border to Saxony -Anhalt.
The community Mariental consists of two districts:
- Mariental Village
- Mariental -Horst
Mariental village is the senior district. He grew up around the monastery, founded in 1138 Mariental. The district Mariental -Horst has only existed since 1945, after the abandonment of the former air base.
The Council of the Municipality of Mariental is made up of 11 council women and councilors.
- 5 seats SPD council group Mariental
- 4 seats CDU fraction Mariental
- 2 seats Marientaler fraction
(As at municipal election, September 11, 2011)
CDU fraction Mariental and Marientaler fraction form the Mayor majority in the Council.
By the Council were elected:
- As honorary mayor Kurt Bartsch (CDU )
- The volunteer community director Friedrich Rietz
(As inaugural meeting of the Council, November 3, 2011 )
- Walter Naumann was appointed on 23 February 2006 for his commitment to the community and the volunteer fire department an honorary citizen.
- Hans Hennig was appointed on 18 May 2008 for his commitment to the community, clubs and associations, and the development of the village chronicle an honorary citizen.
Culture and sights
- Monastery Mariental, here the Duke Joachim Karl von Braunschweig -Wolfenbüttel is buried were
The largest employer is the Meisterbäckerei stone corner, with other bakeries in Bernburg (Saale ) and Berlin and many small retail shops throughout Germany.
Mariental is located right on the main road 244, which meets in two kilometers to the Federal Highway 2 from Hannover to Berlin.