Marsens ( Freiburg Patois Machin? / I ) is a municipality in the canton of Fribourg Greyerzbezirk in Switzerland. The former German name Marsing and Mars rings are no longer used today. With effect from 1 January 2001, the previously independent community Vuippens was incorporated into Marsens.
Marsens is located on 722 m above sea level. M., 4 km north of the district main town cop (air line). The village is located on the western edge of the creek Talniederung Sionge, at the southern foot of Marly, the uplands west of the Gruyère lake.
The area of 7.8 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the basin of Bulle in the Fribourg foothills of the Alps. The long narrow area community has in the East share of the Gruyère. The lake shore is here strongly divided, as the streams Sionge and Gérignoz in small little valley flow into the lake, the lowermost section was flooded during the impoundment of the Lac de la Gruyère. From the peninsula of Villars with the height Sur le Mont ( 752 m above sea level. M. ), the communal land extends westward across the Talniederung the Sionge and the flat surface of Marsens down to the west adjacent heights of Marly and its foothills. The northern boundary is the most deepened in the molasse of Marly valley of Gérignoz. On the west, the area extends into the Moorniederung Les Gurles; north of it is the forest slopes of Derbali with 1'026 meters above sea level. M. reached the highest point of Marsens. From the municipality surface 1997 10 % came from settlements, 25 % of forest and shrubs, 64% to agriculture and slightly less than 1% was unproductive land.
To Marsens include the village Vuippens (705 m above sea level. M. ) the hamlet Chamufens (850 m above sea level. M. ) on the eastern slope of the Marly south of the valley of Gérignoz as well as numerous individual farms. Neighboring communities of Marsens are Echarlens, Riaz, Sâles, Grangettes Châtelard, Soren, Pont -en- Ogoz, Haute Ville and Corbières.
With 1696 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Marsens belongs to the medium-sized municipalities in the canton of Fribourg. Of the 93.5 % inhabitants are French-speaking, German-speaking 3.5 % and 0.9 % Italian-speaking (as of 2000). The population of Marsens amounted in 1900 to 970 inhabitants. During the 20th century the number of inhabitants long time commuted 1150-1220 people. Since 1990 (1166 inhabitants) a significant population growth was recorded.
Marsens was up in the first half of the 20th century, mainly coined by farming village. Even today, animal husbandry and dairy farming ( for cheese production ) and to a lesser extent agriculture a certain significance in the occupational structure of the population. More jobs are available in the local small businesses and especially in the service sector. The construction of the cantonal psychiatric hospital on the grounds of the Abbey secularized Humilimont in the years 1872-1880, the economic structure in Marsens fundamentally changed. In recent decades, the village has developed thanks to its attractive location and into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who Bulle and Fribourg work in the regions.
The community is easily accessible via. It is located near the main road from Fribourg to Bulle. The nearest links to the A12 motorway, which has been open since 1981 from Bern to Vevey and throughout the municipal area traversed is located around 4 km from the town center. By Bus Transports Publics Fribourgeois that leads from Freiburg via Rossens to Bull, Marsens is connected to the public transport network.
The territory of Marsens was settled very early. The oldest traces of human settlement date back to the Bronze Age. Not far from the present village was a Gallo-Roman temple that was dedicated to Mars Caturix and was destroyed by an invasion of the Alemanni around the year 260 AD. The first written mention of the village took place in 851 under the name Curtis Marsingus. Later, the names Marsingis ( 929 ) Marcens (1668 ) and Marsan published. The place name is originally derived from the Roman god of war Mars.
Before the year 1000 Marsens belonged to the territory of the Kingdom of Burgundy. 1137 founded the Premonstratensian in the field east of the village, the monastery Humilimont ( German: Lower mountain ), which was transferred in 1580 to the Jesuits in Freiburg. The secular power over Marsens had since the 12th century, the lords of the Corbières. In the spin-off of the west of the Sarine located parts of the rule, the village came 1225 to the newly formed dominion Vuippens.
1547 Marsens came to Freiburg and the newly formed Bailiwick Vuippens - Everdes was assigned. After the collapse of the ancien régime (1798 ) belonged to the village during the Helvetic Republic and the subsequent time to 1848 to the then district bull before it was incorporated in the district of Gruyère. After the monastery Humilimont was secularized in 1848, the convent buildings were included in the construction of the psychiatric hospital. On 1 January 2001 the municipality merger of Marsens and Vuippens was completed, the new church is called to continue Marsens.
The Chapel of Saint -Nicolas in the village originates from 1330. Jesuits erected on the monastery grounds in the years 1641-1642, the chapel of Saint- Ignace, a large octagonal building which was restored in 1989 and also known as La Rotonde (Rotunda ) bears. In the municipalities of Echarlens Riaz and some remains of the Gallo-Roman temple of Mars and the former vicus (with remains of workshops and baths ) were obtained.