Life and career
Max Hartung was in 2005 and 2006 German champion in the A- youth; 2006 and 2009 he was junior champion. International Hartung won the 2008 European Junior Championships and 2009 World Junior Championships.
In the adult class Hartung finished already at the Fencing World Championships in 2007 to eighth place with the German team, in 2010 came the German team to fifth place. At the European Championships in 2010 Hartung won the team bronze. In 2011 he took the team to fourth place at the World Championships. At the European Championships he won with Nicolas Limbach, Benedict Wagner and Björn Hübner silver behind the Italian team and won bronze in the individual standings. At the Olympic Games in London Max Hartung took seventh place in the individual as well as the fifth place with the team.
Hartung is challenging for TSV Bayer Dormagen, 2012, he won together with Limbach and Wagner at the German team championships and finished second in the individual standings to fifth place. In 2014 he won again at the German Championships with the team.
Since 2012, Hartung studied at the Zeppelin University in Friedrichshafen, sociology, politics and economics. In 2013 he was elected Speaker of the athletes German Fencing Federation.
Major sporting success
- 7th Place Individual Competition London 2012
- 5th Place Team Competition London 2012
- 4th place team competition Catania 2011
- 6th place individual competition Budapest 2013
- 5th Place Team Competition Budapest 2013
- 3rd Place Team Competition Leipzig 2010
- 2nd place team competition, Sheffield 2011
- 3rd place individual competition Sheffield 2011
- 3rd place team competition Legnano 2012
Junior World Championship
- 1st place individual competition Belfast 2009
European Junior Championships
- 1st place team event Amsterdam 2008
- 2006: Silver ( team)
- 2007: Silver ( team)
- 2008: gold ( team) and silver in the individual
- 2009: Silver ( team)
- 2012: gold ( team)
- 2014: gold ( team) and silver in the individual