Under a Maxi yacht refers to a large, athletic designed sailing yacht with a boat length overall of 70 feet (about 21 m).
Maxi yachts are usually individual individual buildings / custom made and tailored by yacht designer to the wishes of the owner; well-known designers are Olin Stephens of Sparkman & Stephens design office, Bruce Farr, German Frers, and Ron Holland. A Maxi yacht is either sporty design for racing purposes or for longer cruises with passengers. Not to be confused are Maxi Yachts Maxi Yachts, a Swedish manufacturer of cruising yachts.
The watch manufacturer and sponsor Rolex organized a regatta series for Maxi yachts, the Maxi Yacht Rolex Cup.
A special sailing class is located above the maxi - yachts, the Super - Maxi class. These yachts have a length overall (LOA ) of over 100 feet.
Selection of known maxi - yachts
- Kialoa I to V ( owner: Jim Kilroy, USA )
- Ondine VIII
- PK Boo II (ex CHRISMI II)
- Il Moro di Venezia I, II and III
- Morning Glory ( owner: Hasso Plattner, SAP)
- Black Dragon ( owner Otto Happel, Hamburg)
- Y3K (Wally Yachts ) ( owner: Claus Peter Offen, Hamburg)
- All Smoke ( owner: Günter Herz, Hamburg)
- UCA ( owner: Klaus Murmann, Kiel )
- Rambler ( owner: George David, United States)
- Magic Carpet 2
Known super-maxi yachts
- Alfa Romeo (LOA: 100 ft ) ( owner: Neville Crichton, NZL)
- Wild Oats XI (LOA: 100 ft ) ( owner Bob Oatley, AUS ) almost identical to Alfa Romeo
- Eleonora (LOA: 161 ft) (replica of Big Class yacht Westward
- Mirabella V (LOA: 247 feet, 75.3 m)
- Morning Glory, (LOA: 26.2 m)
- Phocea, ex Club Méditerranée (LOA: 247 feet, 75.3 m)