MEBEA (pronounced " Mewea " ) was an important Greek vehicle manufacturer. The products ranged from light trucks over cars to motorcycles and bicycles.
MEBEA was founded in Athens in 1960 as a merger of two existing companies that produced since 1954 two-wheelers. The abbreviation stands for MEBEA " Mesogiaki Epichirisis Biomichanias, Emboriou Andiprosopion kai " ( Μεσογιακή Επιχείριση Βιομηχανίας Εμπορίου και Αντιπροσώπων, businesses for industry, trade and representation). The company evolved into one of the most important Greek vehicle manufacturer, it operated two plants in the north of Athens. Your most important and successful products were light tricycles with 50 cc Zundapp engines. The tricycles, which belonged for decades to the usual streets of Greece, were also exported to countries in Southeast Asia. Also, most scooter and motorcycle models from MEBEA (eg Junior, Apollo and Hermes) were equipped with Zündapp engines. In addition to the two- and three-wheelers, which were their own developments to the motors, built and drove MEDEA in cooperation with the British car manufacturer whose models Reliant TW9 ( a heavy tricycle from 1970) and Robin ( a three-wheeled car in 1974 ). In 1979 the four-wheel light auto Fox has been introduced. The Reliant Kitten based on the vehicle was actually a MEBEA - house development. In order to circumvent the difficult Greek legislation for production of passenger cars, the type acceptance of the Fox was again carried out in cooperation with Reliant as a licensor.
Vehicle models from MEBEA
- 50 Zundapp 50 cc moped (based on a German Zündapp ), mid-1960s to the early 1970s
- Hermes 50 cc moped, from 1970.
- Apollo 50 cc, development of Hermes, from 1970.
- Junior, 50 cc, from 1972.
- Europino, Moped Scooter in Italian design, from 1974 to 1982.
Light tricycles motorcycle control
- First generation, with or without cabin, 1967-1974
- Second generation, with or without cabin, 1974-1977
- Third generation (model 206), in large numbers from 1977 to 1983
Tricycles with Auto Control
- ST150 Light Duty Tricycle 300 kg payload, 1970-1977
- Reliant 1200 / TW 9B load tricycle with 800 kg payload, 1970-1976
Lightweight three-wheel passenger vehicles with motorcycle control
- Bingo, almost exclusively for the Southeast Asian market starting from 1972
- Robin three-wheeler cars ( Reliant - Stock ), 1974-1978
- Fox lightweight cars, 1979-1983