Megion (Russian Мегион ) is a town in western Siberia, in the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous District / Yugra (Russia) with 49 449 inhabitants (as of October 14, 2010 ).
The city lies on the right ( northern ) bank of the Ob in the West Siberian Plain about 25 km west of Nizhnevartovsk. Near the city opens the eponymous Bayou Mega back into the main flow of the Ob ( the Khanty word mechi or megi refers to a sharp bend in the river ). The climate is continental.
The town forms a separate urban district, which is surrounded by the territory of Rajons Nizhnevartovsk. The city district and the urban-type settlement was founded in 1982 Wyssoki heard ( Высокий ) with 6933 inhabitants, so that the total population is (2010) 56 422.
A Khanty settlement in the area of the present town Megion has been known since 1810. In 1912, she appeared in official documents as Magajon ( Магайон ), in the 1940s as a village Megion. In 1961 there were around the first oil discoveries in the mid Whether area. In 1962, a petroleum workers' settlement. In 1964 she was awarded the status of an urban-type settlement, on 23 July 1980, the city law.
Note: Census data (1959 rounded)
Culture and sights
Megion has a local history museum under the name Regional historical- cultural and ecological center.
Economy and infrastructure
Megion is one of the centers of oil production in West Siberia. The main company is Slavneft - Megionneftegaz ( Славнефть - Мегионнефтегаз ).
The town lies on the railway line opened in 1979 Surgut - Nizhnevartovsk; the train station is outside the city, about 15 km from the center at Wyssoki.