Mendelssohn & Co.
The bank was founded in 1795 in Spandauerstrasse of Joseph Mendelssohn with two employees. Later he took his brother Abraham Mendelssohn Bartholdy on in his business.
1815 moved into the banking house its famous headquarters in the Hunter Street 51 (later also 52 and 49/ 50), in whose environment is established the Berliner Bank neighborhood in the following decades. Here the company Mendelssohn & Co. retained - at times the most important German private bank - to the forced liquidation in 1939 their headquarters
From the 1850s, the Mendelssohn were the court bankers of the Russian Imperial family, and dominated the central European financial market for Russian government bonds until the outbreak of the First World War. Within Germany, the company Mendelssohn & Co. rose to become one of the most important private banking houses.
The hard economic times of the Weimar Republic and the Great Depression was over the bank well.
As part of the linearization the "Aryan" employees and the assets and liabilities of the Mendelssohn Bank were taken over without compensation from the German Bank AG. A leading role in the linearization were Hermann Josef Abs, Heinrich Ulrich and Alfred Short Meyer, who a few months earlier by the company Mendelssohn & Co. was changed to German Bank AG. On December 5, 1938 Paul Kempner, Fritz Mannheimer and Rudolf Loeb retired as " Jews " from the bank Mendelssohn & Co. of Berlin and transferred their shares quotas to the other shareholders, the " Jewess " Marie von Mendelssohn turn on the areas categorized as Aryan family members. As of December 31, 1938, the bank Mendelssohn & Co. went into liquidation.