Merville- Franceville- Plage, usually called in everyday language Franceville, is a commune with 2139 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) on the coast of the department of Calvados in the Basse -Normandie.
Merville- Franceville- Plage is located on the Côte Fleurie on the eastern side of the Orne estuary, on a flat stretch of coastline with initially partial sand, partly swampy terrain. The level inland behind the town is used for intensive agriculture. At the western river bank opposite Ouistreham. The nearest neighbor to the east is Cabourg 6 km.
1078, the name appears in the cartulary of Villa Mater Trinity Monastery of Caen. 1278 Merravilla was called; over time, it was finally Merville. Franceville was the name of a private housing estate, which was in 1898 extended to a seaside resort. By a decree of the President Gaston Doumergue of 11 February 1931, the two towns were united in Merville- Franceville- Plage.
With the invasion of Normandy in June 1944, the city was the scene of battles for the local German artillery position. A stele at the former German position reminiscent of those events.
Franceville- Merville is a popular seaside resort for families. The accommodations are cheaper than in neighboring Cabourg and the renowned, world-famous seaside resorts of Deauville and Trouville- sur -Mer, a little further east.
The town is a center of kitesurfing in France. Every two years in September, the cider - and - dragon - festival with costumes and medieval performances.
- The German battery of Merville is recognized as a monument historique since 2004.
- The redoubt of Merville is a built according to plans by Vauban fortress in 1779. It served as a fortress stronghold, and later as a customs station and served from 1940 to 1944 as a German garrison. The redoubt, which is also recognized as a monument historique, is currently being restored.
Redoute and Merville
The Italian motorcycle racer Alessandro Anzani died 1956 in Merville- Franceville.
The English congregation Clyst St Mary 's partner village of Merville- Franceville.