The first purpose-built M 17 covered with Heinrich Seywald aboard the second place in the Upper Franconia flight in 1925. These aircraft crashed a short time later ( on 14 May 1925) in Bamberg and became thereby totally destroyed. Seybald and also mitfliegende Willy Messerschmidt were doing only slightly injured. On September 20, 1926, the pilot Eberhard von Conta and the writer Werner von Langsdorff flew in a M 17 (D -887 ) from Bamberg to Rome. They crossed the first time with a light aircraft the Central Alps. The flight lasting more than 14 hours had the two every three hours break for refueling, since the tank took only 28 liters. The flight height was partially 4,500 meters.
Of the built between six and eight machines is only one original preserved; it is now in the Deutsches Museum in Munich.
At the International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition in Berlin a replica (D - ERTA ) was shown, which was built by order of the Messerschmitt Foundation of the company Bitz Flugzeugbau. This aircraft weighs However, due to the additionally installed devices (such as radio and Rescue System ) from 40 kg more than the original. The M 17 is to come later in the Flying Museum in Manching near Ingolstadt.