Mission San Gabriel ArcÃ¡ngel
Template: Infobox / Maintenance / image
The Mission San Gabriel is a Spanish Franciscan mission near present-day San Gabriel, California. It was founded on September 8, 1771, the feast day of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary. The mission was often called the " Godmother of the Pueblo de Los Angeles ". The Franziskanerpadres whose mission was the establishment of the mission, first chose a place on the banks of the Río de los Temblores (German: Earthquake river, today Santa Ana River) from. The choice finally fell on a fertile plain at the banks of the Rio Hondo in Whittier Narrows east of the present downtown Los Angeles. In the years 1771-1834, the year of the secularization of the mission, there more than 25,000 people were baptized. Between 1862 and 1908 the mission church served as a parish church for the community of San Gabriel, to be finally taken over and restored by Claretians. Since 1971, the Mission San Gabriel is on the list of the National Register of Historic Places.