Missoula is a city located in Missoula County in the U.S. state of Montana.
With 57 053 inhabitants ( 2000) Missoula to Billings is the second largest city in Montana. A first occupation of the site by immigrants of European descent took place around 1860. In Missoula, the University of Montana, Missoula ( founded in 1895 ) and an international airport, the Missoula International Airport ( IATA code MSO) is located.
Missoula is located in western Montana at an altitude of around 950 m, surrounded by mountains and crossed by three rivers - the Clark Fork River, the Bitterroot River and the Blackfoot River - in the former basin of a large prehistoric Glazialsees, the eponymous Missoula glacial lake, eponymous for the mighty Missoula floods at the end of the last ice age.
With the Montana Rail Link a large regional railway company is headquartered in Missoula.
The Hollywood Drama From A River against the backdrop of the river landscape of Missoula.
- Neckargemuend, Germany
- Palmerston North, New Zealand
Sons and daughters of the town
- Dana Carvey, actor and comedian
- Leroy Hood, a biologist
- Dave Johnson, athlete and Olympic medalist
- Jason Lamy Chappuis, French Nordic combined
- David Lynch, director and artist
- Washington J. McCormick, politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Ted Nichols, composer, arranger, conductor and music teacher
- Jeannette Rankin, politician, first woman in the U.S. Congress and House of Representatives
- Brian P. Schmidt, astronomer
- George Turman, mayor of Missoula and Lieutenant Governor of Montana (1981-1989)
- Allen Vizzutti, trumpet player, composer and music educator
- Steve Bullock, politicians