Moffans -et- Vacheresse is a commune in Haute -Saône in the Franche -Comté.
Moffans -et- Vacheresse situated at an altitude of 296 m above sea level, 7 km southeast of Lure and about 30 km east of the town of Vesoul (air line). The village is located in the eastern part of the department, increased slightly west of the lowlands of Rognon, at the northwestern edge of the heights of Granges.
The area of 14.09 km ² municipal area comprises a section in the rolling countryside of southeast of the level of Lure. From northeast to southwest, the area is crossed by the Talniederung of Rognon, which provides for drainage over the Scey to Ognon. The Alluvialniederung is on average 290 m and has a width of around 500 meters. On the bottom of the municipality Rognon inflow of several tributaries, including the Ruisseau de Courmont receives. The rivers are dammed at several locations to ponds (fish farming ). The largest is the Etang Neuf on the edge of the Grand Bois.
West of Rognon valley extends the area on a plateau, which consists of limestone of the Middle Triassic. It is part of arable and meadow land, consisted mainly in the western part of the forest ( Grand Bois ) and reaches a height of 324 m. East of Rognon the terrain rises rapidly to the forest-covered heights of Granges. Here are the heights of Derrière le Moulin ( to 362 m) and Bois de Saint- Georges, in the 369 meters, the highest elevation of Moffans -et- Vacheresse is achieved. They are, together with the range of hills of Mont Rebrassier (343 m ), Les Fouillies (331 m) and Rougemont (352 m) west of the Rognon, made up predominantly of red sandstone of the Lower Triassic.
The double municipality consists of the village Moffans ( 296 m) and the hamlet Vacheresse (293 m) in the valley of the Ruisseau de Courmont shortly before its confluence with the Rognon. Neighboring communities of Moffans -et- Vacheresse are Frotey -lès -Lure and Lyoffans in the north, Lomont in the east, Granges- la -Ville and Athesans - ETROITEFONTAINE in the south and La Vergenne, Vouhenans and Lure in the West.
Remains of Roman traffic route of Luxeuil after Mandeure indicate an early inspection of the area. Is first mentioned Moffans in 1175 under the name Mofens. By 1344 the spelling and Mofans of 1377 the present name has been handed down. In the Middle Ages Moffans belonged to the Free County of Burgundy and in the territory of the Bailliage d' amont. The reclaimed in the 12th century made area belonged to the rule Granges whose vassals resided here. Together with the Franche -Comté reached the place with the Peace of Nijmegen in 1678 definitively to France.
Vacheresse made since the French Revolution a separate municipality before it was incorporated in 1808 by Faymont, but with which it had no common border. The exclave Vacheresse was separated in 1923 by Faymont and merged with Moffans to double community. Today Moffans -et- Vacheresse is a member of the 22 localities comprehensive community association Communauté de communes du Pays de Lure.
The church of Saint -Christophe in 1839 rebuilt with red sandstone as building fabric, and added the bell tower with pyramidal roof 1862. For the remarkable interiors include furniture ( 18th century ) from the previous church, a bas-relief with the St. Christopher, paneling from the 19th century and several grave slabs. From the 18th and 19th century, several houses were built in the village, including the Mairie ( Municipal House ) and the rectory. Additional attractions include a fountain with a gazebo at the entrance and the covered Lavoir from the 19th century, which once served as a laundry and watering cattle.
With 626 inhabitants ( 1 January 2011) Moffans -et- Vacheresse belongs to the medium-sized towns in the Haute- Saône. After the population had decreased significantly in the first half of the 20th century ( in 1886 819 people were still counted ), was re- listed at the beginning of the 1970s, a population growth. Since then, the population remained at a constant level.
Economy and infrastructure
Moffans -et- Vacheresse was until well into the 20th century a predominantly by agriculture (crops, orchards and livestock ) and forestry embossed village. The water power of the Rognon was formerly used for the operation of mills. Today there are various businesses of the local small business sector. In recent decades the village has been transformed into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who engage in the larger towns in the vicinity of their work.