Mohammed Rafi (also Mohammad Rafi; * December 24, 1924 in the village Kotla Sultan Singh in Punjab, † July 31, 1980 in Bombay, Maharashtra ) was an Indian playback singer of Hindi film. He was next to Kishore Kumar and Mukesh to the top three male playback singers of India of the 1950s and 1960s, and took on songs for more than 700 films.
At the age of 14, he came to Lahore, the cultural center in Punjab, and became a pupil of musician Khan Abdul Waheed Khan, Jeevanlal Matto and Ghulam Ali Khan. By the composer Feroz Nizami, he was given access to radio Lahore and settled in the city panjabischen film industry. His film debut was Mohammed Rafi as a singer for the composer Shyam Sundar in Gul Baloch (1944). In the same year he moved to Bombay and sang Naushads composition in the film Pehle Aap from the also originating from Punjab director Abdul Rashid Kardar.
1946 saw Rafi his vocal breakthrough with Mehboob Khan's Anmol Ghadi film and the duet Meri sapnon ki rani Kundan Lal Saigal in with Shahjehan ( 1946). The first big successes were his duets with the singer and actress Nurjehan in their last Indian films Jugnu (1946 ), Saajan (1947 ) and Mela (1948 ) before they (Pakistan ) relocated during the partition of India to Lahore. Mohammed Rafi's popularity lasted until his death. His work is closely associated with the effect of film music composer Sachin Dev Burman, Shankar - Jaikishan and Naushad. One of his best pieces of the 1950s include his interpretations of the actor Dilip Kumar and his playback singing in Guru Dutt's Pyaasa (1957) and Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959). In the early 1960s, Mohammed Rafi scored a stylistic shift with the youthfully spirited films with Shammi Kapoor Junglee (1961) and Kashmir Ki Kali (1964 ), who introduced him to the late 1960s, the leading playback singer in the Hindi film industry. Only Kishore Kumar's success with the Rajesh Khanna - films urged Rafi's influence back.
Mohammed Rafi died at the age of 55 of a heart attack.
- National Film Awards for Best Playback Singer 1958 for " Naaz Hai Hind Par Jinhen " from the film Pyaasa
- 1978 for " Kya Hua Tera Wada " from the movie Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin
- Filmfare Awards for Best Playback Singer 1961 for " Chaudhvin Ka Chand Ho " from the film Chaudhvin Ka Chand
- 1962 " Teri Surat Pyaari Pyaari Ko" from the movie Sasural
- 1965 for " My Chahunga Tujhe " from the movie Dosti
- 1967 " Baharo Barsao Phool " from the film Suraj
- 1969 for " Dil Ke Jharoke Mein" from the movie Brahmachari
- 1978 for " Kya Hua Tera Vaada " Hum Kisi Se from the movie Kum Nahin
- Bengal movie Journalists' Association Awards for Best Playback Singer 1965 for Dosti
- 1966 Arzoo
1965 Mohammed Rafi was awarded the Order of the Padma Shri.