The Abbey Molesme (Latin Abbatija Molismum ) was founded on a hill by the river Laignes in 1075 by Robert in the remains of the Gallo- Roman settlement Vertilium that had been provided by Hugues de Norlennac available. To which has been destroyed monastery, the place Molesme developed (department Côte- d'Or ). In 1985, the remains of the abbey as a monument ( Monument historique ) were protected.
Robert was a monk in Montier -la- Celle ( Saint -André- les -Vergers, Aube ) and have been on the reform of the monastery of Saint -Michel in Tonnerre failed abbot, as he sat down with a group of monks in Vertilium and there a Church and first building erected. The austerity of monastic life in Molesme attracted people like Bruno of Cologne, the later founder of the Carthusian Order, and Stephen Harding, who later became head of the Cistercian Order, but also many of the nobles, the transferred their property to the monastery, which was then used to Church and expand the monastery. However, this prosperity also meant that as far back as the Roberts monastic rigor was softened so that Robert himself with a few followers in the year 1098 Molesme left to found the monastery of Citeaux. Already in 1099 Robert was committed by Pope Urban II to return to Molesme.
In addition to Citeaux went from Molesme the creation of seven or eight other men monasteries ( including the monastery Aulps ) and about the same number of convents (eg the Abbey in Jully ). Molesme was destroyed in 1472 during the conflict between France and Burgundy, seized possession, again during the Wars of the late 16th century. 1648 the monastic life was enlivened by the reforms of the Maurists one more time. In the 18th century, however, a thorough restoration of the building structure, while the revolution was then the dissolution of the monastery, and finally its destruction.
Of the buildings, especially the novices Chapel Sainte -Croix is left, which dates from the second half of the 13th century. In the 19th century a new bell tower was built, which was damaged in 1940. In addition, remnants of outbuildings are still standing. Visits are by appointment only.